Chapter 22: A drive home

On our way to drop me off home, Carlos and I were both quiet for the first three minutes. Sometimes I would glance at him while he's driving and when he looked my way, I quickly turned to the window. Of course I was trying my best not to make it obvious but I felt like that was the longest three minutes of my life to ever stay quiet. I wanted to disappear.
"So, what are your plans for today?", I asked, trying to act all cool.
He shrugged. "Nothing."
Nothing. That's all I'm getting. Okay then, I guess he just doesn't want to talk, I thought.
"You?" he asked softly.
Oh, he's talking. I screamed in my head.
"Maybe have more rest." I chuckled. "It's Sunday after all."
He had a smirk on his face when I said that.
"What? Why you doing that face?" I asked.
He just shook his head, smiling. I think he's one of them. You know, with the nicest smile. "I'm just thinking about the humour in this. You know, the way we run into each and something always happens."
"You mean something goes wrong with me?" I asked, burying my face into my hands, laughing. "It's getting ridiculous and utterly absurd."
"It's not that bad...... I ------ find you very entertaining," he laughed and that was the first time I've seen him laugh. It wasn't a full on laugh but it was laughter.
"Preposterous!", I said laughing with him. "But seriously, thank you so much. I know I've said it before but I just can't get over how embarrassing it was."
He just nodded and smiled. "Don't be, it was fun."
We paused for a while and enjoyed the ride silently.
And he broke that silence by saying "My father's back," he didn't look pleased as he said it. I intend not to dig more about that. Today, I was just Fhallon. Just a woman. Not a reporter.
"Oh. That's great news," I said, cheerfully. It was also then that I realized I haven't been thinking of his father's case when I was with him. Until now. But I didn't want to bring it up again. I don't know him that well, but I understand how hard it must have been for him when he was little to be separated from his father. I interviewed him before about his father and I knew from there, that that was a very sensitive topic for him. I'm a journalist; of course at some point I might bring it to his attention again but I guess for now, I will just let him have this moment.
"I guess so." He shrugged his shoulders. "Thought you might like to know."
I pretended I did not know what he was talking about but he still went on "You know in case you want to interview him -"
"Oh that --- there's a time for everything so ---" I paused because I didn't know what else to say. So I tried to change the topic. "How are you about it? I mean, I know it must have been hard being away from him when you were little?" I asked, making sure I delivered it with empathy.
"It was...... I was close with him ......I didn't speak to my mom or anyone for a while but at some point, I had to be strong. For my mother and everyone else, you know?" He exhaled slowly and the smoke of his breath from the coldness inside the car curled and rose in front him. I saw a muscle twitched in his cheek. I felt that weird tickle in my throat and swallowed over it. "I know."
"It's here right?" He took a deep breath as he looked outside on the left of the road where he was turning in; the road to my place. I nodded.
I was watching him and I felt like he knew I was, so I just pinched myself and looked the other way. I pointed to my place. He parked and I got out, grabbed the bag with my clothes in and my purse. "Thanks for the ride and, you know for the other thing. I promise, you won't see me again." I informed him with a smile of my face.
As his eyes were still on me, I swear that radiant beam on his face sent me butterflies in my stomach. I blushed and I tried my very best not to show it but I guess it didn't work. I'm not going to lie; but he's a good looking guy. Gorgeous with that smile and who wouldn't feel that ticklish feeling in their bit of their fucking stomach with someone like him looking at you.
"Oh, I very much doubt that Tanner. Have a good night." 
"Goodnight," I waved as he drove away.
I was startled when my phone rang. I sighed when I saw it was Richard. "Richard?"
"Tanner, Salvador is back. Guess you'll be doing some tailgating."
Guess secrets don't remain hidden that long and news do travel fast.