Chapter 59

I do think about Carlos from time to time. But I think we've made it pretty clear that it's over. I'm glad it was before it could get any more that what it already was. When I saw his face on tv, being interviewed after his match. I was just speechless and I've been staring at him for quite a long time. But I don't want to chase him. I can't.

Richard had asked me to panel for our new young journalists.

It took half of my day and it was pretty exhausting.

He then asked me to have lunch with him after at Moreno's. He congratulated me on the article.

"Tanner, I knew you could do it," he said proudly.

I just smiled.

"Now we leave it to the police," he said with so much relief. "This is my treat," he said holding up his glass of water. "You did great Tanner. Chicago's finest."

I raised my one to meet his in the air. "I wouldn't be too sure about that yet."

"And what's with you and Salvador's son, if you don't mind me asking?" he asked

"Oh that, we're just acquaintances Richard. Nothing more," I said.

"If you say so," he chuckled. "Just don't forget you have another life besides your work life Tanner."

He coughed a little to clear his throat and he sat up straight.

"Anyways, what I really wanted to talk to you about is, I'm sure you've been too busy to realize that it's the month of the Pulitzer announcement and I know, you're probably going through some problems of your own but I just thought to tell you that you've been nominated for a ------ Pulitzer. They made the announcement a few days ago, when you were off work, and of course the whole office know but ---- you ----- apparently ......" he paused and then a huge smile on his face "for your exposé of Salvador."

My heart literally jumped out of my chest. "Wait what?" OHMYFUCKINGGOSH "This is - are you serious?" I've been dreaming about this my whole life but it's impossible I've never submit an entry.

I cleared my throat, "Um Richard, there must be a mistake I've never submitted the Salvador article or any of my piece -----"

He shook his head, with the biggest grin. "I know. I know. I ---uh --- did that. You've covered so many stories and it was only right that you deserve this. I'm dead serious. So congratulations Tanner." He raises his glass.

I was speechless and I couldn't calm my heart for a while. Had to take a few sips of my lemonade glass before it did.

Of course I would feel that way , this was a huge deal to me. To any reporter, in fact.

"Oh my gosh Richard thank you so much," I stood up happily, throwing my arms around him then sat back down. "I'm shocked and I'm honored that they even considered me," I smiled shyly.

"Well your work spoke on its own. So you'll be flying over to New York City this Thursday. Everything paid for of course, and as bonus for you I was able to convince the Board and the prep committee for you to have a plus - two," he chuckled. "When I did that, I was thinking of your parents and how much they meant to you. I knew the moment that I met you, you always talk so highly of them."

"Thank you so much. That meant a lot you had to pull strings. But wow, Thursday huh? I asked, my face beaming.

He nodded. "Yeah the luncheon ceremony is on Monday but I wanted you to enjoy your time there, I meant actually enjoy some time there Tanner, before receiving your certificate. It's a big city," he paused. "You've grown and have come so far. I still remember the first time i interviewed you and I have to admit, I'm proud I took you on board Tanner."

"Thanks Richard. That means a lot to me." My mind wondered about the plans I have and realize it will be Rachel's wedding on Saturday the week I'll be back and it was perfect timing because I can make it.

"Thank you Richard - for everything."

He smiled. "And also, my wife and I will be coming too to witness this momentum, our firm's very first Pulitzer nominee and surely, winner soon."

"Oh you think too highly of me, I appreciate that," I chuckled.

"Well you're the best," he said, nodding.

I honestly couldn't stop smiling. Thank you God for this amazing achievement.

We went back to work and I've received a lot of congratulations, regards, taps on the back, hugs and kisses from my co-workers. Even if it was just a nomination at the moment, I felt amazing about it. It's every journalist's dream.