Chapter 32: Salvador

My outfit for the day was a green (seaweed green) trench coat, thrown over a white blouse and black trousers. Not forgetting the heels. Today, I was meeting with Juan Salvador. I feel nervous and excited at the same time. More excited than nervous. Gosh, I am weird. I'm just excited because that's just how I feel when digging deeper in a story. Was I scared to see him? Uh yes. The man is part of a cartel, I'm sure he has hitmen all over the place.
I was given the new site to meet him. His secretary whom I spoke to before contacted and informed me that I was to meet Salvador at his place.
I knocked the door and the butler opened up the door. As soon as I got in, I was stunned at how big the house was. Scratch house, it was basically a mansion. The ceiling was higher, high glass walls that allows you to overlook the ocean from anywhere in the house. It was simply elegant. The butler looked over his shoulder because I said the word wow too many times whenever I see something fancy or simply breath-taking. He lead me to Salvador's office, opened the door for me and signalled with his eyes, to enter.
I took shorter steps and twirling around, setting my eyes from side to side. Oh wow, even this office looks good too good and bigger than my apartment. Seriously, Salvador's place was everything and more. I twirled too much that I almost fell over so I stopped doing that. Oh boy, oh boy, still a klutz!
"Ms. Tanner .... We meet again." I heard a male voice that startled me from my moment of being amazed at almost everything.
"Salvador," I nodded when seeing him. I headed over to lounge room. "I just want to say; thank you so much for agreeing to this." We shook hands.
"Oh it's nothing. You can thank me later if you get anything out of this interview." He was being sarcastic I think.
"Sounds fair," I tried to remain professional with my tone. Teapots and cups, with coffee and tea were already on the other table. He poured some for the both of us. "Tea, coffee?" he asked.
"Ummmm ...... I'll have some coffee please." I put my small off white bag on the sofa as I sat down.
He walked towards me with small cups on his hands, handed me one and went back to the other couch opposite me. He had an arm shoulder sling on but he still managed to serve us both.
"I have to say Ms. Tanner; I've heard so much about you. From Rosa and my son, from my daughter too."
"Wonderful things I hope." I sipped a little.
He grinned. His hair is a bit grey and straight. Nothing like Carlos' hair. Carlos hair is sort of wavy. Carlos is a lot taller than him. But the eyes, that's where Carlos got his eyes from. And the dimples too. Oh his banana shaped dimples. Carlos looks exactly like his father.
"Carlos tells me, you and him are partners. Doing what exactly?" he asked, making a gesture with one of his hand as to why are we partners and it hit me that he was trying to interview me and not the other way around. I put down the cup, and cleared my throat. I straightened up.
"With all due respect; but asking questions is my job," I took out my recorder. He scoffed.
"Do you consent to be recorded?" I asked, politely of course.
It took him a while but he nodded.
"You are a drug lord, correct?" I asked confidently.
"No I am not." He answered.
"Then what are you exactly in the drug industry, the whole operation?"
"You didn't even ask if I was a part of it." He tried to play smart with me.
"I don't need to. We both know you are....and we both know how. If you want me to give the details, I'll be happy to do it on record."
"Fine. I'm not a drug lord, that is not accurate. That is just a title assume by people who know nothing about the drug world and the market and how it works. I am a part of this whole operation --- it's true.... but not as a drug lord. I am one of the lieutenants, looking after the whole territory here."
"If it was all true, how did you get away with what happened years ago?" I was curious.
"People searched the wrong places. But I guess that's what happened when you listen to tell-tales." He grinned, an evil one at that.
"A man died in prison, because of this. How did that made you feel?"
"He brought that on himself. He knew the rules. We all know the rules. This is why I hated recruiting younger generations because they never get it. Our forefathers worked hard for all these and bringing us on board just so we can have better lives and just to see it wasted away by these street rats who know nothing."
"Better lives huh," I chuckled as I said that.
"Yes better, Tanner." He gave me a narrow look.
"Do you even know how this is affecting the country?" It's affecting the market power – the" I stopped when I saw him grinning again. Gosh I want to wipe that off of his fucking face.
"Coming from someone who lives in the country who mostly use what we provide. Don't forget that we supply because the people demand."
"It's illegal. It's --- it's not right Salvador."
"And who made you the goddess of right and wrong?" he asked sarcastically. "The world is cruel, it's not perfect and that's just how it is. All we can do, is live with it."
"If you don't want to stop whatever you're doing, for the world then, why not do it for your family? For your children?"
"Ms. Tanner, I would do anything for family. Especially my kids. Now, they might not be in this business as I am right now but they would .... Someday. This will all belong to them. It's our dynasty."
I shook my head. "No, I don't think Carlos –
"You think you know my own son better than me? There's a reason why I agreed to this interview, and that's because I knew you wouldn't publish it after what I'm about to show you."

"I've got the right amount to publish it. I don't need any more reason." I said, irritated.

"Are you sure ? Because there is a man down at the basement ------- whose life depends on you." I was stunned by this. What was he on about ?

"You're bluffing!" I was serious.

He signalled to his butler to turn on the tv infront of us. And when he did, a man tied to a chair who seemed to be breathless, blood all over his face. I gasped.

"I'm calling the Police." I said, turning off the recorder and bringing out the phone.

"Do so, but by the time they get here, his body would not be existing anymore."He paused.

"This is what we do Tanner. The Police certainly couldn't discover what we do so what made you think – you can?" Today .... can be that one man , tomorrow could be another, and the day after that, it could be someone you know, all depending on every move you make. Who knows ?" He shrugged his shoulders.

"Does Carlos know about this ?" I asked.

"My son? Oh please do. Who do you think --- did that – to his face?" He asked, beaming.

I just sat there in silence not knowing what to say ... or do for that matter.

"Tanner ....... Dad... what is she doing here?" I turned to find Carlos looking at us.