Chapter 34: Father and Son

**Author's note: Now this chapter, as done before with other chapters, is written from Carlos POV leading up to the moment in the previous chapter (Fhallon's POV). I know I don't always write everything that happens from both characters POV all the time but I only focus on the big events so that there's no confusion. Thank you for your patience and I'm open to comments/feedbacks :)

Carlos POV:

I was suppose to go back to the boys but I was a bit tired. Klaus said they'll take an Uber and not to wait up for them.  So I went home after dropping of Tanner and found Salvador waiting for me.

I dropped my jacket on the couch, feeling annoyed that he trespassed.

"I need to start changing the locks around this house," I said, hands on my hips.

"Oh come on, don't be harsh son. We're family." He said with a grin on his face.

"Well, family should understand there are boundaries." I sat down. "What do you want?" I cut straight to the point.

"What ? A father can't pay a visit just because he wants to ?" He asked.

I scoffed, knowing that he was for a reason.

There was a long pause before he went on. "I see, you and that reporter are getting pretty close."

Yup, there it is. I thought. I knew it.

"We're not." I automatically responded.

"Nigel sees differently." He murmured.

Argh fuck. That asshole saw us kissing just that one time and he thinks he knows everything.

"What? Because I kissed her? The woman was having a panic attack, give me a break!" I snapped.

"Attachment is never good son, let alone with a reporter considering what you're in right now." He said with his fatherly tone.

"Why do I get the feeling you're including me in your shit again? I don't want this. Any of it." I snapped.

"But you see, this shit is written in our history already. It was passed down from our family generation to generation. I am a lieutenant in the cartel and someday you will take my place." He kept pushing.

I suddenly feel angry but I was still trying to remain calm. "Are you delusional? I just said I don't want a part of this."

"Get your head straight Carlos. What do you think is gonna happen when you don't take what you were born to take huh? Everything will fall apart and the others will take down anyone just so they can be the only one standing. Think about your sister. Your aunt Rosa. Your mother.

"It can end here. It can end with you." I said my voice hoarse.

"It's not how things work. You can't change what has been passed down firm generations to generations. This is a tradition created by people who died to make all this happened. Their hard work can never just go away just like that. Son, your reign is up to you. Change whatever you can, do whatever you want as long as you lead our people to where they should go. You don't have to do things my way. Build your own empire." Wow, the enthusiasm in his eyes when went on about that. I could never.

When he said that, I just thought about how this could an opportunity for me to put a stop to all of this. I can change it to something better instead of this hurting one another catastrophe. It's exhausting.

"I need to think about it. Give me some time." I said not fully satisfy with the idea.

"You want time?" he paused.  "Granted. But please, the reporter, keep her away."

"She knows. I think, almost everything." I said happily.

He looked at me, dazed.

"I didn't tell her if that's what you're wondering. She found that out herself and up to now, she still hasn't published anything so you should be thankful. She's coming for you someday, though and --- I'm not gonna stand in her way." I stood up, stretching, yawning.

He stood up too. "That's fine as long as you stay away." He walked past me and I followed him out to his car, which was nowhere to be found.

"I can't promise anything, but I'll try." I said knowing very well that me staying away isn't the problem. Life has a way of throwing the two of us together in the least expected situations.

"Where's the car?" I asked.

"Probably around the corner." I saw him dialling.

Salvador, despite every worse situations we are in, he still looked calm and confident, like he knows we can handle and get through anything. He's that type of person that just seems strong and has it all figured out. That's the side of him that I'm proud of, proud to call him my father. But the other side, well -

Just then, a strange vehicle came and because all windows were up and tinted; we couldn't see anyone.

It drove slowly and when it was right in front of us, it all happened too fast that the next thing I knew; the window rolled down and that same face, the one I fought when saving Valentina, the one who took my sister, appeared from the car window, pulling out a gun, aimed at Salvador.
He shoots, I jumped as fast as lighting and tackle Salvador to the ground, causing the bullet to brush off his shoulder. He tried to aim again but Salvador's car with his men, crashed into their car, shooting the driver. Salvador's men quickly got out and ran to the car. I checked to see if my father was okay, he was just bleeding, almost crying out in pain but he held it in with his pride. He was okay and he was alive; that's what matters.