Chapter 18: Boys night out

I took a shower at the gym after Holly left me. I kept replaying our conversation earlier. Was I being cruel ? Was that an unreasonable thing to do? I wasn't happy about it but I guess it was the right thing to do.

My dad had a plan and in a few days we are executing that plan. The best thing is to not have any attachments. I hopped out of the shower, dry myself and grabbed a black casual relaxed fit jeans, a white shirt and blue denim jacket that I packed from home.

As I walked out of the bathroom, bag in hand, thinking about home already, Danny called out to me. "Where are you going ?"

I turned around. "Home." I responded.

"We saw Holly left. She didn't look happy." He said confusingly.

"Yeah, I uh ... sorta ended things with her." I said, depressingly.

"Do you want to ..... uh.... talk about it?", he stuttered.

"What ?" I asked. I heard what he said but I asked again because I knew Danny and I never talk about those sort of things with each other.

"You know - talk about it, if you want." He said, scratching his head.

I chuckled. "No, I'm good. Thanks man. I'll see you Tuesday."

"Wait, how about a drink?", he asked. "I know a great bar for drinks. You, me and maybe Jake?"

I paused. Hmmm I do feel like a drink. That's not a bad idea. "Okay."

_____________________________

We all took our own cars there as we all live separately. Jake and I followed Danny.

"Here we are fellas, the Sparrows." Danny said as we all met up at the car park. I brought my car because even though I wanted to drink, I was planning not to drink that much. I was still bummed out from ending things with Holly. I just need one drink before going to bed. Yeah stop lying to yourself Carlos.

The place was already packed. I saw a few eyes on me as we walked in.

Danny ordered us beers. "Here you go fellas. Cheers", he said as we cheered our cups to his. "So, I just talked to the bartender about a VIP area for us, so will move to that one after these bottles, yeah?" he said, pointing us to the VIP area. Jake and I nodded.

We had a brief conversation about upcoming fights, meetings and Jake was giving out his plan about training in the next 3 months.

Boxing took up most of my time that sometimes I don't have the time to handle business back home. Mom set up a dive bar when we moved there. She came from a family of investors so of course they helped out with the finance and everything. My grandparents were very generous people. And when I turned 16, progressing through school and my boxing career, mom told me that I should take some time off from boxing and come in to learn the ropes of business. Of course I wasn't really interested as I was obsessed over boxing, but she paid a lot of money for me to go to business school.

I had school, boxing training and mom's business. My hands were full. But all worked out well. At 25, mom put me in her place as General Manager.

So now I'm here. I made sure everything was taken care of before I left. I checked in from time to time and so far, everything's good.

"Dude, you okay?" Jake asked.

I nodded, scoring my drink and bringing my mind back to the moment we were in.

"Hey, isn't that the reporter that interviewed you?", Jake asked, nodding his head towards where he was looking. Danny and I looked. I had to slowly looked over my shoulder because my back was facing the way Jake was looking. I saw Tanner walking to the ladies room.
"Yeah that's her." Danny responded.