Chapter 38

Laurens POV

"OH MY GOD!" I heard someone yell. I quickly stopped mixing the pancake batter and ran outside to where the scream came from. I saw the greenhouse door slightly opened so I made my way in.

"Mom, what's wrong?" I questioned once I saw her crying on the small bench. I took a seat next to her.

"My flowers." She sobbed. I looked around and saw nothing wrong with the roses and other plants. "My sunflowers are destroyed." My eyes went wide the moment those words left her mouth. I slowly turned my head and saw the stems of what used to be her sunflowers, but are now just dried up stems. Should I tell her? No, I can't. She'll be really mad if she knew I cut them off and gave them to Camila, so I decided to be oblivious. I wrapped an arm around her shoulders and pulled her in for a hug.

"Maybe a bird came in here and ate them." I said the first thing that came to my mind.

"A bird can't come in here because they wouldn't be able to open the door." She sniffed. "Maybe they just died because I can't care for plants." I wasn't able to come up with a different excuse so I just went along with it.

"Yeah, maybe that's it. I mean you are gone alot so that means you're not able to water them and that's probably why they died." I shrugged. More tears rushed down her cheeks.

"I guess i'm just not meant to care for plants."

"Yeah I guess not.......well anyways, i'm cooking us breakfast so yeah." I got up and turned to the door. I honestly feel really guilty for making my mom believe that she couldn't even take care of a plant, but it was either have her believe that or have me get in trouble. I am not okay with me getting in trouble so I went with the first one.

"Hey babe." I turned around and saw Camila standing at the doorway of the kitchen. I smiled at her until I noticed what was in her hands.

"Why are you holding those flowers?" I gestured to the old sunflowers in her hands.

"Oh, well they're all dry now so I was just going to throw them away." She said as she made her way to the back door. I immediately stopped her.

"No! You can't."

"Why not?" She questioned.

"Because those were my moms from her greenhouse." She gave me a confused expression. "I cut them down and she's in there crying because I kinda told her that they just died because she can't care for plants."

"You cut these out of your mom's greenhouse!?!" She whisper shouted at me. I nodded my head. "Are you fucking kidding me?"

"No. That's why I can't let her see you throwing those out. I don't want her to find out that I cut them down."

"Well why not? I think you should tell her the truth instead of making her believe that she can't even care for plants." She placed her hands on her hips.

"If I tell her i'll get in trouble." I heard a door close so I looked out the back door and saw my mom closing the door to the greenhouse.

"Why should I care if you get in trouble?" She crossed her arms. It's true, she wouldn't really get fazed if I were to get in trouble. Although, one thing came to my mind.

"If I get grounded we can't go out on dates." I said with a smirk. "Now you can stay here and explain to my mom what really happened to her flowers and we won't go on any dates for a while or you can just take those back to the room before my mom enters that door." I pointed to the door behind me. My mom was making her way to us.

She sighed before she glared at me. "Just know that i'm not okay with lying to your mom. I'm only doing this because I expect a very expensive date in the future." She pointed a finger at me before running away once my mom reached the door.