chapter 22- fifty year olds and grocery shopping

Chapter 22

We arrived at the mall and wherever she wanted to go, I took her, despite her refusing me multiple times. I bought her so many clothes: jeans, tops, skirts, pants, you name it. I even got her some shoes. WE got a couple things for her room as well, including some lamps, and some posters for her bedroom. I left her to decorate after she put in her headphones. I realized that I didn't have any groceries, so I headed out to the grocery store.

"Fiona, I'm heading out to the grocery store! Do you want to come, or should I go?"

"I'm coming!" She yelled back at me. I soon heard her footsteps, and she put on her winter jacket that we bought today. I smiled at her. I'm so glad she's here with me. We hop in the car and I drive to the grocery store.

"How's the room redecorating going?" I ask her.

"It's going pretty well! I want it to be a surprise for you. I think you're going to like it!" She tells me excitedly.

"I can't wait to see it!!" I told her. I'm so glad she's out of that dump and safe now. I pull into the grocery store, and walk in, my arm linked with Fiona's. I spot samples being given in the corner of the store.

"Want free food?" I ask her.

"Always," she replies. I drag her over to the counter and we each receive a melted chocolate cookie from the lady working at the booth. We put it in our mouths at the same time.

"Yummmmmm," we both say at the same time, and then laugh. I grab a shopping basket.

"Grab whatever you want and put it in the basket," I tell her and she runs down the isle and grabs a box of cookies.

"You are my kind of girl," I joke, winking at her.

"You're pretty cool for a teacher," She tells me.

"I know," I tell her, flipping my hair dramatically. We grab random things and place it in the basket and proceed to checkout.

"My first grade students thought I was 50 today," I tell her and she starts giggling.

"i know, right? I'm still going I think, I mean I'm only 26," I joke with her.

"Actually, I think I see some gray hair," she jokes with me, and I pretend to obsess over my head, causing her to burst into another fit of giggles, as we walk to the car.

"Wanna take a selfie?" I ask her, and she nods. We make a couple faces, and pose in front of the car. Oof, New York winters are definitely not ideal.

"Wanna get some hot cocoa?" I ask her.

"Umm, yes, please!" she tells me, her face indicating as if that was even a question. I grinned. I took her to the coffee shop that I always go to with Anvi and Nyra. It is hands down the best one I've been in.

We walk in.

" Oh my gosh, this place is so cute!"

" I know right? I love it here. I come really often with my best friends."

"That's so nice!" she says. I nod my head. I raise my head, when the door opens, the little bell ringing. I was surprised to see the familiar pair of green eyes and curly hair walk in. He gives me a long pained look. I've known him for just a few weeks and my feelings... They just won't go away. I stare at him blankly for a few seconds. I look away from him. He sighs and goes up to the counter. Fiona watched the whole exchange, her almond shaped eyes observing everything.

"Wait... Did you have a thing with him?" I get surprised by a such a direct question.

"It's complicated," I say, and leave it at that.

"He's really handsome."

"I know."

"Wait, is he the CEO guy from Forbes?" She says raising her voice slightly. I put a finger to my lips, telling her to quiet down.

"The one and only."

"Damn, you scored." I snicker.

"I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be discussing my love life with a 14 year old." I tell her.

"What can I say, I'm wise beyond my years."I laugh. She starts giggling too, but then immediately stops, and I see Noah approaching our table.

"Naya I-"

"Only my friends call me Naya." I interrupt him. His face falls.

"Look, can you please meet me at the lake? tonight? I need to tell you something."

I raise an eyebrow at him and my middle finger. His face falls again.

"I'm sorry Shanaya." He says that and walks away, his voice in such a broken tone. My heart splinters even more.

"That was a badass move," she tells me.

"What can I say? I'm a bad bitch." I suddenly

realize what I said and over my mouth.

She snickers.

"Shit, Ignore what I said." I cover my mouth again.

"I'm going to stop talking now," I tell her, and she snorts.

"You are so cool." She laughs.

"Trust me, I know," I say, winking at her, we both fall into laughter, and enjoy our hot chocolate on this cold January day.

Hi! How was the chapter? Let me know in the comments. Also, I'm doing VLACS gym and i don't like it. I don't want a PE credit, and I HATE PE. hHich is ironic bc I'm a dancer and have to do toning for it. PE SUCKS. Also I do want the credit, I just don't wanna take the course. :( sad face. ANyways. thanks for reading, love you all!!

- Shanaya XOXO