chapter 85- chipotle

Chapter 85

"Meredith, I hope you feel better soon. Please let me know if you ever need anything."

"Thank you, Shanaya. Please let me know how my son is doing, I barely even hear from him anymore."

"Of course. I'll come by tomorrow to see you before you get discharged, but I've got to get her some dinner, and we have to go home."

"No problem, dear. Thank you." Noah is looking at us intently. None of us had spoken a single word to each other since our argument. Everest had fallen asleep by his mother's bedside, and his father sat in the corner of the room, observing our movements.

"Bye," Fiona says quietly, and goes to Noah.

"Bye dad, I'll see you at home." He kisses the top of her head, hugging her back.

"I love you Princess."

"Love you too, dad." She follows me out the door and we sit in the car. I take a deep breath before starting the car, and drive out.

"Where do you want to get dinner?" I ask her.

"Chipotle?"

"Sure, chipotle."

"Mom?"

"Yeah, nanna?"

"What's going on with you and dad?"

"I'm not discussing this, Fiona, that's between him and me." My lips are set into a thin line.

"Come on! I'm almost fifteen! Why won't you tell me?"

"Because, I'm not getting you involved in our fights. It's not responsible, and it will make you feel awkward. I'm not doing that. I'm going to make sure you never have to choose between us."

"Mom! You treat me like I'm a child!"

"No I don't, and you know that. I value your privacy, and mine. I wouldn't bring one of my friends in the middle of an argument between me and you, would you do that with one of your friends?"

"No, but-"

"Exactly."

"But-"

"End of conversation, Fiona."

"Ugh, this is so annoying."

"Suck it up then, because you don't need to be in the middle of an argument." She huffs, and goes on her phone instead.

My phone rings.

"Shanaya?" The voice asks. I immediately recognize it as Everest.

"Hey, is this Everest?" I pick it up.

"Um, yeah. I- Is it okay if I stay at your place tonight?"

"Of course do you want me to pick you up?"

"Can you actually- um yeah, can you?"

"Sure, I'll be there in twenty minutes."

"Thank you."

"Of course. Anytime." He hangs up the phone.

"What will Everest have from chipotle?"

"Fiona? Will you talk to me please?"

"What?" She irritatedly says.

"What do you want from chipotle, and what will Everest eat?"

"I want a chicken quesadilla. He'll have the same."

"Thank you."

"Mom?"

"Yeah?"
"Why won't you tell me what's going on?"

"Because I'm not going to bring you in the middle of this. I had to go through it all the time growing up, and I'm not letting my daughter do that now."
"Okay."

"Thank you." We grab the food, and I quickly pay, and rush back to the hospital. I leave Fiona sitting in the car and I go inside toEverest

"Hey Everest." I give him a soft smile.

"Hey Naya. Thanks for picking me up."

"Hey don't worry about it."

I'm about to leave when I soon find a pair of familiar green eyes, which are rimmed with red. I give him a nod, and he just hugs me. His body shakes above mine, abs I hear his uneven intake of breath.

Despite everything he said, I put my arms around his waist.

"It's okay. It's going to be okay. " I murmured.

"It's not okay. It's not. Nothing's okay." He whispers into my hair. Everest hugs Noah from the side.

"Noah, you'll get through this. I promise. " I softly tell him.

""I'm sorry. I didn't mean what I said. I love you so much, goddammit. I'd- My mother told me that my father had raped her for years. I completely lost it. I wanted you both away from the hospital and away from him. I-I got so fucking angry."

My heart drops. No way that wretched man could have done something like that to her.

"Oh my god, Noah. I'm so sorry. I love you. I love you. I'm sorry too. Oh my god. I can't believe-how- I-l-" My hands go around his neck, when I hear a throat clear.

"Ev, can you wait in the car please?" He asks, and Everest goes to the car, and I give an empty chuckle. I go on my tiptoes and kiss his temple.

"I'm so sorry my love." He whispers into my shoulder. I just hug him even tighter.

"You wanna come home with me?"

"Always."