^43

Areum?Areum's head immediately perked up at the sound of her name being called through her head

Areum?
Areum's head immediately perked up at the sound of her name being called through her head.
Yes, Marky?
When are you coming back?
um...I think soon! Just finishing our last bites of ice cream then we'll head back!
okayyy come back soon! I have something to discuss with you

As soon as the group came back, Mark was already at the door waiting for their return. Mark went in for a hug as he tightened his grip around Areum.

"Follow me." He said with a slight smile on his face, intertwining his hands with hers while leading her upstairs and into his office.

He opened the door for her and her eyes soon laid on the lady from earlier seated with great posture on the armchair. Mark brought her to sit as he sat next to her.

"Areum, this is my mom, Dina Tuan." He addressed formally. Areum immediately bowing out of respect and Dina also bowing slightly. "It's a pleasure meeting you my dear. I've heard many things about you from Mark over here, he seems very fond of you." She leaned into Areum to whisper the last part.

They both chuckled softly before Mark cleared his throat, Dina adjusting herself back to her original position. "My mom here is a white fox, one of you. And she'll gladly mentor you about your powers."

Areum's eyes widened for a second before nodding excitedly. "Well then, show her some things you'll be teaching her mom." Mark gestured towards the plain wall to their right. Dina shifted her body so that it was facing the wall.

Her eyes closing for a second with her index and middle finger together pointing to the wall ahead of her. "Simple is best, but colour brings life." She said in what seems like Chinese.

Soon after she said that phrase, the once black wall turned pastel blue. Areum sat there with wide eyes while Mark sat there with disturbed eyes at the new colour in his office.

"Darkness gloom's, light shines." She said once again in Chinese. However, after a while, nothing happens until a voice interjected.

"Darkness glooms, light glows." Mark corrected. Dina had a motherly smile on her, seeing what she taught him when he was younger- though he wasn't a white fox, was not forgotten.

"Right," She turned back facing the pastel blue wall. "Darkness gloom's, light glows." Large modern windows were into place along the wall, bringing in the night light.

This time, Areum couldn't help but clap for her. It was her first time encountering a white fox, furthermore, what they can do.

"Thank you, dear." Dina sat down and took a sip out of her earl grey tea. "White foxes are beautiful creatures, using Chinese poems as your way of activating whichever spell you'd like to use." She explained.

Areum hummed in response as she was intrigued by the new creature she never knew existed. "We'll start tomorrow, I'm sure you've tired yourself out enough today." Dina gave her a warm smile before bidding her good night wishes and exiting the room.

Mark was already sat behind his desk, sorting out his leftover emails. She lazily walked towards him and climbed onto his lap, arms wrapped around his waist, head on his chest, back facing the computer.

"Mhm? What's wrong my baby?" Mark rubbed his palm behind her back in a circular motion- then continuing with his work. "Do you really think I can pull off this whole white fox thing?"

"Of course, you're capable of anything." He reassured her. She let out a small giggle, laying her head onto his shoulder as her eyes began feeling drowsy. "What about your dad and his crew? Will they come find me?" She mumbled.

Mark let out a heavy sigh at the mention of his dad, "It's okay, if one of his touches you, I'll take care of it, don't you worry my princess." But by the end of his sentence, slumber took over the girl. Leavin soft breaths out her mouth as she slept soundly.

The next morning came faster than expected. Awakened by the clanging of kitchen pots, Areum let out a small groan, tossing over to the other side of the bed where she collided with a much bigger body, and just by the smell of his cologne, she knew who it is.

"You awake baby girl?" His husky morning voice infiltrated her ears like a sweet morning alarm. She nodded with her eyes still shut, cuddled up in the sheets.

A while later, after both of them got washed up and went downstairs, a rare sight came to their eyes. It was the boys with their warm smiles across each and every one of their faces, enjoying the meal cooked by Mark's mom.

The nostalgic feeling of home-cooked food just left them in awe. "Look like everyone's having a great time." Mark interrupted. All the heads looked up from their breakfast with a bright smile.

"Morning you two~" Mark's mom made her way from the kitchen and place two more plates down for them. "So Areum, you excited~ first day of discovering your new talent! Hm~ hm~" Felix hyped up as the rest of the boys did as well.

"Of course I'm excited~ don't know if I'll do well though," Felix let out a huge sarcastic gasp. "No girl~ you'll do well and I know it!" His smile shone brightly which she did the same.

But a second later, his expression changed when he took out his phone. Excusing himself before going out in the yard.

"Yes...I'm with her. No..., I- I don't want to do this!" He screamed through the phone. "Do it or else you could say goodbye to your parents, one wrong move and they disappear." The person from the other side of the line warned.

"Please...don't hurt them." He was on the verge of tears at this point, but not wanting to sound weak, hoping his voice doesn't give it away. He hung up and had his head hung low.

"Yo.." Mark came out and squatted next to him. "It's alright, we'll find a way to stop my father and his crew somehow." He placed his hand on Felix's shoulder and shook it a little.

"Please forgive me...I don't want to do this, to Areum, to everyone. But I have no choice...your father has taken care of my parents for a long time. Helping me by paying for their hospital bills in return for me working for him...I really have no choice." He sobbed.

Mark could only sit there and watch how much this boy has gone through since they were kids. It was too much for a nine-year-old. "I look pathetic don't I? Satan's number one rule, Crying are for wimps, wimps like me." He let out a scoff, wiping his tears away.

"No you don't, remember what my mom first told you when she met you crying the first time you guys met? Strong men cry, weak men, keep it in." Mark recalled, bringing the poor guy into a hug.

Little did they know there was a proud mother leaning against the door, smiling from ear to ear looking at the two, amused. As if they were still kids from years back.

Sorry for the long awaited updateeeeeee been really busy but still managed to squeeze this update into my ram packed schedule!!