3

"What the hell were you thinking, y/n?" JJ's voice spoke down on you. You plopped down on the bench that sat outside of the police station and crossed your arms, staring off into the distance away from your brother.

"I don't want to talk about it," you mumbled. JJ probably didn't hear you but you didn't care.

"I don't get you, y/n. You have so much going for you. You are so smart and pretty and nice and you care so much about people, so why would you go and do something so stupid?"

"Something so stupid?! JJ, last time I checked, you were the kleptomaniac of the island! I know stealing isn't the smartest but if you're gonna call me stupid for doing it, you are the biggest idiot I've ever met," you shouted at him before turning again to stare down the road.

"I know I'm an idiot, y/n, but you were supposed to be the good one." Here he goes with this again.

"Can you shut up for once in your life? You always bring that up!" You turned and stood in front of JJ.

"Tell me why you did it!" He stood as well, towering over you and effectively changing the subject.

"I don't know!" you screamed back.

"Why are you lying to me? I know you did this for a reason. You're not the stealing type!" he raised his voice.

"Because for some unknown reason, I look up to you, you idiot!" you shouted at him.

"What? Why?" Your words took him back. He felt like a failure so why would you look up to him?

"Yes, JJ. I look up to you and I think you're cool. You have a good group of friends that I am so jealous of. All I have is you and Chelsea and Chelsea doesn't really even care about me anyway. She only hangs out with me when her boyfriend and all her other friends are busy. So really all I have is you and do you know how lame that is? If I'm so smart and pretty and nice as you say, then why don't I have any friends?" you unloaded all of your feelings onto your brother and he gave you a sad look with a small smile because he's proud of himself. He pulled you into his arms.

"How about this? You can come hang out with me and the pogues as long as you don't steal anything else. I don't want you to ruin your future trying to be as cool as me," he boasted and you rolled your eyes, shoving him away.

"God! I knew I shouldn't have said that. You'll never let it go." JJ wrapped his arm around your shoulders as he led you to his bike.

"No, I won't let it go. I am cool," he said triumphantly as you mentally facepalmed yourself for letting that slip. Stealing may have been stupid but telling JJ Maybank that he is cool might have been the stupidest thing you've ever done.