130

warnings: shooting, bullet graze, blood, gun

rafe and barry, the pair was never good news. kie and pope had left on the pogue a while ago so you guys couldn't escape on water due to their unexpected arrival. you couldn't go inside the chateau or stay where you were because they would find you all and y'all didn't know how far rafe would actually go. he shot his own sister so there was no doubt in your mind that he wouldn't hesitate to put a bullet in any of you. the only way out was up into the tree next to the fire the boys just put out and hope their eyes didn't wander up.

"shit!" rafe angrily yelled from down below when they couldn't find john b before he started shooting about. barry pushed his armed hand up, making the gun aim for the tree, right at you, jj, john b, and sarah. one shot hit the limb of three that jj rested upon, and while you tried to make sure your body was out of harm's way, a bullet grazed the skin of your forearm. the hand of your uninjured arm clamped over your mouth quickly to stop any noises or whimpers from escaping your lips. biting your lip to help hold in any sounds you may emit, you moved your hand to cover your wound to stop any blood from falling to the ground. you just had to wait until they left, but until then, no blood could drop and you could not make a peep.

you locked eyes with jj before squeezing your eyes shut. no tears, not right now. if a drop of anything fell, rafe would for sure hear it hit the leaves below and he'd look up and if you started to cry, he'd hear you then too. the sounds of barry trying to calm rafe down and their footsteps faded away until you heard car doors shutting.

"y/n, are you okay?" sarah whispered and that is when you finally felt like you could breathe and cry.

"fuck," you grunted as you shuddered at the sight of your bloodied hand. "no, it burns. holy shit." john b and sarah began to climb out of the tree while jj climbed over to you.

"here," he spoke gently before he pulled off his shirt. his fingers circled your wrist to pull it away from the wound so he could wrap his shirt around it. you whimpered at the pressure, but jj shushed you. "i know, i know. i'm sorry," he whispered against your skin and placed a kiss to your forehead. "i'm gonna help you down."

it hurt when you stretched it to get out of the tree which definitely caused more blood to stain jj's t-shirt, but once you were down, it didn't bother you as much.

"we need to do something about your brother," you mentioned while sarah nodded in agreement, a guilty expression on her face.

"i'm so sorry," she muttered but you shook your head.

"this isn't your fault," you told her while jj urged you into the chateau, john b and sarah following, but jj glared at you for your words. he was still warming up to the newest member of the crew. "you can't help who you are related to," you spoke to sarah, but made sure jj heard it as he could relate to what you said as well.

he elected to ignore his feelings on the subject and look for something to clean your wound with, john b going to help search too. "how are you feeling?" the blond boy inquired aloud while he looked in the cabinet in the bathroom.

"it doesn't hurt. i don't know if that's a good thing, though. i might be numb from the pain. i'm kinda in shock, you know," you giggled lightly in a time where you most definitely shouldn't be giggling.

"sarah, does she look okay to you?" your favorite cameron glanced you over and saw your dopey-looking smile plus that odd look in your eyes that she only saw when you were high. the only problem is you hadn't smoked all day, so the only thing that could be prompting this behavior was blood loss, too much of it. you laughed again as you stared at sarah's worried features before you fell into her chest. "jj!"

"what?" he turned to see you collapsed against sarah who held you up. "oh shit, i'm going to take her to the hospital."

"what are you going to do when they ask questions?" john b piped up from jj's room.

"tell them the truth. it's not like they're going to believe me anyway. it's just something else for shoupe to toss to the side." before any more conversation could be had, you groaned against sarah's shoulder. "baby?" jj whispered when he moved to get you off sarah and to look up at him. "can you stay awake for me?"

"i can try," you told him honestly.

"okay, we have to take my bike to the hospital and i need you to stay awake and hold on. can you do that for me?" he asked, his fingers holding your chin up to make you look at him.

"mhmm," you hummed with a nod.

"you sure she'll stay up?" sarah questioned and jj nodded.

"being on my bike scares the shit out of her so she'll stay awake to make sure she's alive by the end of the trip," jj reassured her as he helped you up.

"ow," you mumbled while reaching for your arm after he accidentally bumped it.

"well, i'm glad you can feel it again, but let's go get you checked out, okay, darling?"

you nodded with a silly smile. "yes, cupcake."

"hey, that's my nickname for you," jj teased as if you weren't bleeding from a gunshot wound.

"it's mine for you now, cupcake."