52

"Hi, Mr. Maybank. This is the school nurse and I'm calling to inform you that your child got hurt at recess and that you should probabl-" the lady on the phone started but JJ quickly cut her words off.

"I'm on my way," he muttered before ending the phone call and dashing outside to hop in his truck. He took off towards the school which wasn't far at all, then ran out of the vehicle and into the building. His blue eyes met the ones that looked just like his and ran up to his kid.

"Hey, buddy. Are you okay?" JJ asked his son as he knelt down next to the kid and grabbed his little hand.

"Yeah, daddy. I just hit my head when I fell off the monkey bars," he said as he pointed to the small bump on his forehead.

"I see that, bud, but you're okay, right?" JJ pressed again.

"Yep, all good," the boy grinned the same crooked grin that his father was known for.

"That's my boy. Let's get you checked out and we'll go home." The boy smiled up at his dad while he held his hand as JJ made sure it was all good with the lady at the front desk for him to leave.

"Hey daddy," the little one asked JJ as he was strapping him into his booster seat.

"Yeah bud," JJ responded, buckling in the seatbelt and make sure his kid was safe in his seat. He then lifted his line of sight to meet the little blue eyes he was responsible for.

"Can you kiss my bump? It hurts," the boy asked shyly as he played with his hands in his lap.

"Come here, you little stinker," JJ teased as he grabbed the kid by the sides of the head to bring it closer to him and lightly pressed his lips to the boy's goose egg. Giggles flew from the kid's mouth as JJ planted tiny little kisses all over his face, effectively tickling him. "There you go. Now, you shouldn't be hurting anywhere on your face."