129

new years at the chateau was always a fun night. drinks were downed and games were played. memories were made as you pogues just chilled around a bonfire waiting to clink beers and cheer for the new year. then you all would retreat to the hammocks and reminisce on the past year and plan other things y'all could do in the new year.

this year, however, was a little different. you had a new addition to the group, sarah cameron. she was with john b and recently, kie and pope struck up a relationship with one another. you were happy for each of them. you had never seen john b care for someone like he did sarah and you were proud of pope for overcoming his fears to finally share his feelings for kiara with her. but now that left you and jj as the odd ones out.

you sat next to the blond in front of the warm fire as your eyes looked out to the where the boat should be floating aside the dock, but it wasn't there.

"pope and kie dipped on us," you announced to jj. the couple had left a little bit ago for some alone time on the hms pogue but it seems they pulled out and went on their own adventure.

"yeah, well jb and sarah were supposed to go in to get some more drinks but that was ages ago," the maybank boy added whilst gesturing toward the shack you guys called home.

"damn," you playfully scoffed, "we really that boring?"

jj let out a soft chuckle before shaking his head. "no, we just aren't the ones they want to mack on."

"they could've at least waited until the new year to do that. we've got only a minute left." he nodded at your words before pulling up the countdown on his phone.

"fifteen seconds actually," he corrected when he glanced up at you. "so, are you going to be my new year's kiss?"

"what?" you asked in astonishment. that was nowhere near what you were expecting to come out of his mouth. you were reaching for your beer to clink your glass to his, but he clearly had other ideas of what you two could do to ring in the new year.

"you have ten seconds to decide, sweetheart," jj mentioned with a shrug while you gaped at him like a fish. "i'm not hearing a no."

"y-you aren't hearing anything," you said as your eyes watched the seconds dwindle down. you let them flicker back up to jj's awaiting ones. "kiss me."

jj looked down to the time and saw it was only a couple seconds before the year ended. "you always did have impeccable timing," he teased before crashing his lips onto yours. you had always wondered what it would feel like to kiss him. you'd heard the reviews of tourons, other pogues, and the occasional kook and he never failed to leave them satisfied. you could see the hype now and you didn't want to let go. he was like a damn drug and you were feeling the high. you couldn't get enough but you had to breathe. panting, you both parted from one another for some much-needed oxygen.

"and you have an impeccable mouth," you returned his words after modifying the phrasing.

"and i think..." he trailed off as his hand found yours, interlocking your fingers with his, "we are going to have an impeccable year, don't you?"

you squeezed his hand in yours before bringing it up to your lips. "i do."