138

warnings: mentions of drunkenness and a fight between sarah and john b, proofread once

if there was one thing that was for certain about jj maybank, it was that the boy was full of surprises. you never knew what to expect from him. every day was something new, a new stunt, a new adventure, a new crusade.

the question, "are you sure about this?" fell from your lips constantly when he was about to do something. whether it was stupid, not well thought out, bold, or a mixture of two or maybe all three, you asked that very query just to make him think for a second. sometimes, he gave his decision more thought and backed out, but most of the time, he didn't and continued anyway.

there was one time you asked it, but didn't want him to back out.

it was the night that john b got super drunk after he had a fight with sarah. jj was normally pretty good at handling john b, but he needed someone else to help keep john b from contacting sarah for the night. in the morning when he was more level-headed would be a different story, but if the brunet tried to solve issues tonight, it would most more than likely just make things far worse.

when you arrived at the chateau, jj sat on one couch while john b laid on the other passed out.

"hey, i meant to call you, but he just fell asleep. he may have gone down fighting but he's out," jj chuckled as he sat back, looking exhausted.

"well, that's good," you started, walking over and taking a seat next to him, "it must've been a big one if he's this distraught over it."

"yeah," jj agreed and you both glanced over at your sleeping friend. "to be honest, i don't think they're gonna last much longer."

you nodded in agreement. sarah and john b have been arguing a lot more lately. you thought it was just a downhill in their relationship, but the more it continued, the bleaker their future together seemed. "that's gonna tear him up if they break up."

"i know."

you scooted over and grabbed jj's arm, pulling it into your lap so you could snuggle it. your face was pressed against his shoulder and your words brushed his skin. "i hated it last time they did. it sucks for them and it messes with the friend group. i feel like we have to pick sides and it's so messy."

"so are you sticking it out here with me and jb or is your mom gonna want you back home?" jj asked after a bout of silence.

you turned to face him to answer, but you didn't realize how close his face was to yours. he wasn't expecting the close proximity either. he was enjoying it though. you two were always touchy friends, but like this, he could really see every little detail of your eyes and he loved it.

he would've stayed put too if he hadn't caught your gaze on his lips. jj inched closer and closer and let his hand come up to cup your cheek. your fingers circled his wrist before your eyes gazed into jj's beautiful blue ones.

"jj," you whispered before asking the question, "are you sure about this?"

a smirk pulled at his mouth and he answered, "never been surer."

then, his lips met yours.