Walk in the Dark- Jane x Melodie

Requested by: starrsummery

Jane's POV

I'm at camp and it's really late and I need to go to the bathroom. Of course the mess hall doesn't have a bathroom. It's a two-minute walk away, but I really don't want to go by myself and I'm way too embarrassed to ask someone. My cabinmates (Allie, Taylor, Debbie, and others) got stuck in the front row for the presentation by our director about safety. But I'm not listening. 

Ten minutes later, a girl from the cabin above me gets up to go to the bathroom. She's wearing an off-the-shoulder white top and a jean skirt, with her blond hair pulled back to reveal warm brown eyes. She's really pretty. I stand up and quickly follow her. 

Pretty soon, I catch up to her. Man, she walks fast! 

" Hi!" I say. 

" Hello!" she smiles at me. " My name's Melodie. What's yours?" 

" I'm Jane." I tell her. 

" Nice to meet you!" she smiles. 

We walk in silence mostly, but I swear that Melodie's cheeks looked a little bit pinker. We continued walking down the path, with Melodie holding her flashlight and the stars beneath us. The stars were gorgeous at camp- they lit up the sky in a way that Arizona would never do. 

" So," she said, breaking the silence. " Which bunk are you in?" 

" G4," I tell her. For the people going into eighth and ninth. 

" Nice," Melodie replied, holding open the bathroom door for me. " I'm a CIT." 

CIT stands for Counselor in Training. I've seen her talking to the boys a couple of times. 

After I use the bathroom and finish washing my hands, I wait for Melodie. She smiles and we walk back, chatting the whole way. 

As she gets back to her seat and I get back to mine, I come to a realization. I don't fall in love very often, but I do know what it looks like. And she is head over heels.