Bunkmates- Seungho x Mateo

Requested by: luckieisasleep

Mateo's POV

I'm looking out the window of the bus and wondering why the heck did I let my parents talk me into this. I honestly should've just stayed home and washed Mama's car every day like she wanted. (I actually like washing her car. Don't hate.) As we drove past beautiful mountains and shining lakes, I could only focus on the tiny tangled ball of nervousness in my stomach. I just wanted to go home...

After two hours of riding on that bus, we finally arrived at the campsite. I wasn't really paying attention to anything when I grabbed my bag and walked off of the bus with the other kids from the airport (this camp is in Arizona). One of them, a black-haired boy wearing a white tee and black shorts, seemed chatty with the others. 

My counselors introduced themselves and James and Riley, but I wasn't paying much attention. My eyes darted around the campsite, from the boys' cabins to the mess hall to the basketball court. God, how the heck was I gonna survive for three whole weeks?

Seungho's POV

I sat with my bunkmates, talking with my good friends (who have been so ever since my first year here). I've been coming to this camp for five years and I love it! It's great to be with my friends and without my parents for three glorious weeks, staying up all night and having a blast, from jumping into the pond to hiking along the trails. 

There are twelve kids in my bunk- most of which I know, but there were also a few new people, one including this Mexican boy who looked kind of petrified. I felt bad because I could only assume that this was his first year here. I decided that I would talk to him later. Hopefully he would warm up soon!

Pretty soon, our counselors James and Riley led us to our cabin, which was nice enough. According to my friend Laila, the girls have assigned beds, but for the boys it's basically a free-for-all. Get whichever bed you want. The quiet kid claimed the bottom corner, and so I claimed the top. 

After we'd made our beds, I sat down next to him on his bed. At camp, it's like, two minutes after you meet someone, you could basically use their hairbrush without asking and they'd be fine with it. 

" Hi," I smiled at him. 

" Hello," said the guy, staring at a patch of lighter carpet on the floor. 

" I'm Seungho," I said, because I didn't know what else to say. " You?" 

" Mateo," he replied. 

" Is this your first year?" I ask him. 

He nods. " Is it yours?" 

" No. It's my sixth," I say. 

" Wow. You've been coming here for a while now," he says with a smile. I nod. 

" Is it your first time away from home?" I ask him. Dad says that if you want to get to know someone, ask them questions about themselves. People love to talk about themselves. (author's note: this is actually true irl.)

He nods. " I'm nervous," he admits. " Could you give me some tips?" 

" Well, just say hi to someone and then you're basically instant friends," I tell him. " Everyone at camp is basically one big family for three weeks." 

" That sounds cheesy," Mateo says with a laugh. 

" Yes, I know. But it's honestly so true," I say. 

Mateo nods and smiles. His smile is really nice.