0.8 - Breaking Lies and Masks

He could do nothing but keep pace beside her. He wasn't sure how intact his heart was. Her sweet smile was the only thing on his mind and he willingly submitted to this feeling of muddled weakness in her presence.

"I'd appreciate it if you would stop following me," she said without turning to look at him.

He shook his head and stayed quiet. There was no way he was leaving her when she was in such a frightened state. And as if she could read his mind, she turned back to check the hazy street behind them, uncertain if the commotion a moment ago was truly gone.

"I said I can take care of myself." Her voice was firm but they could both tell she was just trying to convince herself. Her face reddened a little.

"I don't need you," she said in defiance.

He remained silent. She was trying to pass this harshness off as toughness but everything she was saying spoke louder her real feelings inside. He turned to look at her, wanting nothing more than to make her feel safe with him but knowing no way of letting her know this. Frustrated beyond himself, he tried to search for her eyes, hoping to reach her with them, but she refused to look at him.

"You can't even take care of yourself," she accused coolly, "You're lost."

The warmness in her voice was completely gone and she turned back into the fuming goddess he met. This time he understood why. He stayed next to her quietly and stared ahead. Dripping through her vexation was the unembellished fear. He just wished he could take her fear away, someway somehow. The foot of distance between them could block nothing. He was sensing her every emotion as clear as a cloudless sky and this exotic feeling was turning him feral.

"Stop following me!" She raised her voice, exasperated by his silence.

He shook his head. "I go with you," he said simply.

She was seriously angered by that. She stopped walking altogether and turned to face him, her small face burning fury. "No. Leave, me, alone."

He shook his head.

"You are just one of them, stranger!" She exploded, stomping her foot and pointing to the street behind them maddeningly. "Mind your own business! You should be trying to get yourself back to wherever you need to go and instead you're here antagonizing me in the middle of the night bumping into me randomly and then refusing to leave while some stupid whoever they are lurk in the back doing whoever knows what, why can't I have just a moment of...." She had to take a breath.

He didn't understand a thing she was saying but even a piece of wood knew she was boiling with rage.

"You need to get lost," she regained control of herself and leveled the pitch of her voice to a menacing low, "I don't need you to go anywhere with me, you hear me? I can take care of myself and I'm really sorry you're lost but I really can't help you.... You can't even understand what I'm saying," she said to herself and threw her hair back petulantly at that and glared at him with flames in her eyes, "Stop following me, understood now that I'm speaking in Korean?"

He grabbed her arm. Something just changed and he didn't comprehend yet.

"Leave me alone," she said through her teeth and shook his hand away.

"You speak Korean."

"No," she rolled her eyes mockingly, "I was speaking Portuguese. Now stop following me and get lost."

"I'm already lost."

Her eyes widened incredulously, "You're trying to be funny? It wasn't. Leave me alone, go back where you came."

"Not until I make sure you're alright."

"I'll be alright when you're gone from my sight."

"Stop lying." He took a step to place himself in front of her. "You're scared."

She shuddered. "I'm not," she switched back to English and turned to leave.

He moved in front of her again to stop her from leaving. "Don't be scared," he said gently, "I'm with you. They can't hurt you. I won't let them."

She was silent for a few seconds. "That's not a promise you can make," she said evenly, "And I don't need you. Stop bothering me." English. She was distancing him and blocking him out. And she made sure he knew with her cold but perfect English.

"Why don't we just walk together? I'll walk you home," he reasoned with her quietly. For some reason there was only gentleness when his thoughts were on her. Even though she was as unpleasant as a mean cat all he wanted to do was to treat her like a princess.

"No." She cut next to him swiftly to get past him and turned to face him once she was ahead, "Good bye."

VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.