23 - How to Lie | EXO

A deadly three seconds of silence pervaded the room. This situation was intricate; after loads of practices, they had learned to be very careful when it came to moments like this. They were usually too pro to be in this kind of situations. They usually would have already come up with perfect stories for each member to tell. But it was obviously too late to mastermind this mishap right now.

Sehun stole a look at Junmyeon tensely. The leader was staring at Jongdae. The four goody-two-shoes they leaned on in dangerous times were Junmyeon, Jongdae, Yixing, and Sehun himself. Clean records, caused no troubles, believable.

"He went to get breakfast. He should be back soon, director, I'm sorry, my apologies on Chanyeol's behalf." Jongdae bowed and apologized to Mr. Ahn for Chanyeol's apparent hunger.

Sehun bit his lip and tried to compose his face. You never wanted to have two variations of the same event. Especially when you had no idea what the actual event was and needed to make up a convincing lie on the spot. It was very important that only one person spoke up when they were being asked in a group, so the lie could be kept as intangible as possible. Everyone else must pretend they were hearing about it for the first time, which they literally were in this case, so management would have no opportunities of a cross-reference interrogation and they would have no risks of accidentally dismantling each other's versions of lies.

"He went and got breakfast by himself? Was he not in the dorms with you all?" Mr. Ahn asked, baiting.

"Chanyeollie came early to the company this morning by himself. He must have gotten hungry after practice, director." Minseok said.

Each person must maintain their own lies. Minseok must have lied for Chanyeol to their managers earlier and had to continue it here for Mr. Ahn.

"Did he?" The director allowed a long pause. But no one fell for it. He smiled again pretentiously when he knew he wasn't going to get anything more from them. "I hope Chanyeol arrives before we end our meeting. I might need to see your managers otherwise. Let's begin. We have quite a few things to go over."

Sehun let out a breath of relief. It seemed like they survived the fiasco, at least for now. Mr. Ahn opened his laptop and started to pull up documents, the rest of the room relaxed into their chairs ever so furtively.

"I want to talk to you about last quarter's logistics. I am proud to say we have exceeded our . . ."

The door burst open and in came Chanyeol, dressed in the same outfit he wore yesterday. His hair was half-damp, his cheeks rosy from running, and he was panting heavily, bowing continuously at the same time. The whole room stopped breathing.

"I'm so sorry, Director Ahn, I apologize, I am sorry –"

"Good to see you, Chanyeol." Mr. Ahn cut Chanyeol off and warned the rest of them to stay quiet with a look that sent cold sweat down Sehun's back. The director's usually disinterested poker face lit up just slightly as he leaned back into his chair and swung it around to face Chanyeol's doom fully.

"Where were you?"

---

CHANYEOL'S BACK!!! But was it from getting breakfast? ;) Wasn't he in the taxi saving Innie last night??

VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.

Don't be lazy. I spend days writing each chapter, you just need to spend half a second to vote and come up with a few comments, DON'T BE LAZY. :)

Also it's okay to go over 20 votes, so don't stop at 20. Keep going, the magic number is 412. Let's reach it. xo