0.15 - Ever Changing Distance

That revelation seemed to have shortened the distance between them infinitely. He didn't notice how stunned he must have looked and only loosened up his expression when she burst into a smile before biting her lip to stop herself from laughing out loud.

"Are we that screwed?" She tilted her head and studied his face from two steps away, her beautiful smile attractively distracting.

He shook his head with a smile too. "I should've known. I'm sorry I didn't notice earlier."

"Wouldn't blame you, I was in denial myself." She sighed and continued, "I just need to get back to my car though."

She ended her sentence in a question and he knew what she was asking.

"I'm staying at a hotel." He pointed his chin at the dark street they were on, "Somewhere around here. Decided to go for a walk before dawn."

He rested one of his feet on the wall and stared at her as she acknowledged that with a several nods.

"Awful luck I see."

"Nah, amazing luck." He waited for her raised eyebrows and grinned once he had her attention, "I met you." And kissed you. That grin turned into a smirk.

Red painted across her cheeks so quickly he gulped starring. All he was thinking was how he could bring her close to him and feel her body against his. He couldn't possibly be sane. This desire was too strong to be acceptable. What was she doing to him?

"Maybe I'll take that luck and go find my car now." She avoided his eyes with reddened cheeks and started walking down the street. He took a couple of strides to get beside her.

"What brought you out here tonight? You said you don't usually come to this area."

There was a purposeful silence before she replied. "Designated driver."

The tone of her voice had turned glum again. He kept up with her pace onto the cross street.

"Sounds depressing."

"Very." She looked around the street and paused for just a bit. Then she went for the intersection and turned left with quickened steps.

He stayed beside her as they practically flew down the street.

"You still have to go back and pick your friends up?" He hypothesized carefully, watching her reaction.

She bit her lip and slowed for a second. "Friend."

It was never a good sign when girls started to speak in one word sentences. He knew better than to press this topic further and stayed quiet. They were approaching another intersection fast and he turned to see which way she wanted to go as their pace slowed.

"My boyfriend." She stopped all of a sudden and turned to face him with locked brows. She opened her mouth slightly as if she wanted to say something more, but eventually she remained silent and reached into her pocket.

The car next to her beeped twice. His heart sank. Unnamed hollowness spread through his numbed limps from the void in his heart as he watched the friendliness disappear from her angelic face. She backed a step away from him slowly, cautiously, the beautiful guarded scowl creeping grudgingly back onto her face. The distance between them was now an unreachable eternity.

"Guess you did take my amazing luck after all." He surprised himself when he heard how calm he sounded. He was not calm at all. He felt like he just lost something and didn't even know what he lost. It was like someone stole a piece of his heart away while he wasn't looking. He knew he wanted to say something, but he didn't know what to say. He had never been this confounded in his life. The elusive look on her face was painfully destructive yet utterly magnetizing.

She simply stared at him. Her expression was unreadable though the pink had not faded from her cheeks. "I guess I did."

She took another step away from him. "You're right about my needing to pick him up still," she said quietly.

He looked into her eyes and saw the regret-soaked apology. He knew exactly what she was going to say next.

"You should leave me now."