Background for Round Two

Illumi Yato was a person who always stood out, a classic pretty boy with the smarts to woo even the most strict of parents. He was offered the easiest of paths every chance he got from life but hated the blandness that came with it.

At the start of middle school, he wanted to change, to experience a new path of life so that's what he did. Around this time gangs were becoming pretty abundant and he'd never been in one so his solution was to join. That is how he found four of his closest friends.

Atsushi Sendou was the leader of a small group comprised of Kazushi Yamagishi, Makoto Suzuki, Takuya Yamamoto, and Takemichi Hanagaki. They were considered a gang amongst the crowd of students within the school they attend and liked to think of themselves as such as well. The four were rather skeptical of letting Illumi join them, thinking it was probably a prank or something to make them look stupid but Atsushi saw the longing in the boy's slightly dead-looking eyes and decided to give him a chance and that's how the group of four became five.

Many were perplexed at Illumi's choice, was it not stupid for him to mix in with the wrong crowd especially when he had such amazing opportunities just waiting for him and one mark on his pristine record could ruin them. Did his parents not worry for him? Did they not grow angry at his blatant disregard for his future? And to be truthful, no they did not care. They did not offer enough attention to care, work always seemed far more important -and illegal- but who needed to look after a child when the next successor to fill their shoes is already picked.

Illumi's cousin five years his senior was the only candidate his father and mother put in the race for succeeding them and so spent far more energy in making sure he was fit to lead. In doing this they did not see Illumi bloom into his looks nor did they see his marks skyrocket to levels that had his teachers pushing for him to move up grades. Parent-teacher conferences were cancelled and never rescheduled and anything that had to be signed by a parent was done by himself through forgeries. No, the parents of Illumi Yato never knew just how perfect he was at all and for that, they would regret it in the future to come.

He rebelled against society's standards, hating the way they constricted him and the way he wanted to live. He grew out his hair, got piercings and tattoos. He kept his nails long and sharp, an unassuming weapon. Illumi overall was unassuming if not a little unorthodox looking and he played that to his strengths.

Grandmothers sighed mournfully, oh the poor sweet, clever boy, stuck in with the wrong crowd, it's best we are extra sympathetic and nice- maybe add a few freebies as well. Other gangs sneer, oh this stupid pretty boy, can't throw a punch and faints at the sight of violence. Little do they know he's the one egging on his friends to vandalise that car, or shakedown those punks for cash. He's the one that can throw a punch and deliver a kick strong enough to fracture a cranium. But all everyone sees is the surface and he will play that card for as long as he can.

Middle school for him was the beginning of a life he never regretted. He moved on to high school though a different one to his friends - no one heard from Takemichi again - and just like before captured the hearts of everyone he knew, he excelled in studies and prospered in the light. In the shadows of society however he slowly crippled his family's name and fortune, he walked the path his parents set but broke the pavement with every step. He shattered their hard work and reaped the benefits for himself building a throne on the remains of a dead empire and waved from above over his cooling mother and father's corpses.

His reach was far and wide expanding into international waters and bringing hushed whispers of fear with his name. He ruled with an iron fist uncaring of his many admirers and avid pursuers, to him he was all he needed.

This was one route of fate that happened, one where in 2017 a pair of Tachibana siblings died at the actions of the Tokyo Manji gang, and not long after a Takemichi Hanagaki died and travelled back to the past, 12 years to be precise. He travelled with one goal in mind but ended up with far more than he expected and that included members of gangs far too dangerous in nature taking a borderline obsessive interest in someone he considered a very good friend. One Illumi Yato.