Redo

When the detective's car was occupied by another person Illumi was sitting in the back refusing to take the front seat from Takemichi.

"Thanks for the ride, Naoto," Illumi smiled at the man who looked at him from the rearview mirror. "Don't worry, I won't say anything that will make you act on your job description, detective~"

Naoto blushed at the natural flirtatious undertone Illumi's voice seemed to have developed over the years. He always had a crush on the man as he grew up, Illumi and Hinata had been friends for many years. Naoto was bound to see the boy from time to time.

"I appreciate that Illumi, I would hate to have to make that choice."

"So...about that following comment earlier..." Takemichi trailed off.

The man sitting in the back sighed slumping into the seat. "I am of the...shaded occupation world and have many people wishing for both good and bad reasons to have me in their sights. I am more inclined to stay away from them, they do not like that." Illumi twisted the ring settled on the forefinger of his left hand. "The easiest way to evade them is if no one can ever really pin down my movements, I've done well so far, eight years and it's always worked well for me."

"I understand," Takemichi said. "I'm sorry you have to live that way."

"It's the life I chose."

The rest of the ride was quiet as the three took in the differences in their lives. They all started out in similar settings of life and have gone in such extremely different directions.

"We're here," Naoto said, breaking Takemichi from his thoughts.

"Huh?"

The three got out of the car and looked up to a building of flats.

"Wonder if she changed at all," Illumi hummed as he leaned back against the car next to Naoto who was trying very hard to not press eagerly up against the older boy.

"Of course she has," Naoto said. "It's been twelve years since you and Takemichi left. She's grown into a proper adult." Naoto started to walk forward, taking Illumi's colorfully tattooed hand to drag him along. "She's an elementary school teacher now."

"Wow..." Takemichi breathed.

"Hah! Bet Hina's the princess of the class making kids fall for her left and right," Illumi teased a fond smile on his face. "And you Mr. Detective~ got criminals falling at your feet?"

"Well if I'm honest I only care if you're one of them," Naoto looked up from under his eyelashes.

"Well, well, well looked who really grew up," Illumi mumbled pleasantly surprised at the change in the man he once knew as a child before him. He walked forward now pulling Naoto who never let his wrist go.

"Naoto..." Takemichi said, making the other two turn to him, he was standing still with his head down.

"Yes?"

"I don't think I can see her after all..."

"Huh?" Both Naoto and Illumi said together.

"Why the sudden change of heart?" Naoto asked.

"When I really think about it, I saved Hina but she doesn't know I did it," Takemichi said cryptically making Illumi furrow his brows, it felt like he was listening to a conversation with only half the jigsaw pieces and half of those were shredded. "You should go see her Naoto, 'cause you're her little brother...I'm just a stranger to her."

"Takemichi..." Naoto said, watching as the other turned his back. Illumi stayed quiet gathering as much information as he could from the scene in front of him. So far he knows within the twelve years that passed from when Illumi left school Takemichi seemed to also have disappeared and never met up with Hinata once. He has apparently saved her life and feels like that doesn't mean anything, that he doesn't deserve to see her.

"I told her to have a good life," Takemichi said. "That's enough for me." He left behind a confused Illumi and a contemplative Naoto. When Takemichi rounded the corner Naoto resumed his walking and dragged Illumi to an apartment where he let himself in.

Once inside Naoto took Illumi's jacket, leaving him in his vest and white shirt, the contrast complimenting him beautifully. The shirt was so lightweight that vague interpretations of his tattoos could actually be seen. Naoto couldn't tear his eyes from them, he brought up a hand to press against the material of the shirt then dragged his hand against it down the other man's arm. It mesmerised him, the fact that after so many years he could be this close, that he could actually touch Illumi Yato in ways he only dreamed about.

Not long after that Hina came bursting in with Takemichi meekly at her heels, the woman was surprised by Takemichi's visit but reared back at seeing the cutting figure of Illumi after all these years, she may or may not have tried to keep tabs on him over the years. Unlike Takemichi who chose to leave her, she knew Illumi had no choice in the matter, it was that or be forever confined to a room with the walls of a certain gang leader's house.

"Illumi!" Hina cried, launching into the man's arms.

"Hina!" Illumi laughed, swinging the girl around. "Look at you missus, you got so beautiful. Your family really has looks, doesn't it?"

The woman blushed happily, flustered but ecstatic that Illumi thought she was beautiful, she knew she wasn't ugly but to know Illumi thought so too was definitely a bonus.

Soon all four were sitting down around the table but the atmosphere was horrendous, both Takemichi and Hinata were...fidgety...real fidgety. It was annoying if the face Naoto was pulling was any indication.

"Uh...so..." Takemichi said, breaking the silence.

"Yes!" Hinata shouted full of nervous energy.

"...Nice weather huh?"

"Yes!!"

"It's overcast." Naoto deadpans, "Dumbass," Illumi follows behind him.

"You two haven't seen each other in years and this is the best you can do?" Naoto said. "Starting off with the weather? You must have so much to catch up on."

"Well...! I'm just so nervous..." Takemichi said with his eyes averted.

"...It's been so long," Hinata continued.

Silence once again rained down, this prompted Illumi to start to stand up hauling Naoto with him who was all too happy to join. "We're leaving."

"W-w-w-wait, Naoto, Illumi!!" Takemichi shrieked as he grabbed onto Illumi's leg.

"This atmosphere is killing me," Naoto said, nudging Takemichi to get off of Illumi's leg. "You two deal with it while Illumi and I catch up. Goodbye."

"If you two leave me alone with her my heart's gonna burst right outta my chest!" Takemichi cried. "Are you trying to kill me?! I thought we were buddies!"

"I'm not your buddy." Naoto indignantly declined while Illumi was losing it with laughter in the background. "Now let go of him."

"You bastard! Asshole! Demon!"

They heard a stifled laugh coming from behind them a bit away. "Hm?" Takemichi turned his head.

"You never change, do you Takemichi?" Hinata smiled as she wiped a tear from the corner of her eye.

The black-haired man's eyes shined as he caught sight of a clover necklace peeking out from the neckline of Hinata's dress.

"Want to go somewhere? Should be easier to chat that way," Naoto proposed. "I'll drive."

"Sure!" Hina quickly agreed.

"I'm down," Illumi said just as his phone started to ring. "Two secs," He fished out the device and answered the call. Quick rambling was heard on the other side of the phone accompanied by occasional 'Hmm's' from Illumi other than that the man didn't really speak until the end where he gently smiled and nodded his head. "Alright sweetheart, I love you too, Night." He then hung up the call unaware of envious eyes.

"Oh? Who was that Illumi?" Hina called as she approached him and the front door.

"Oh, that was just my son."

"Oh okay..." Hina smiled before his words registered with everyone in the room.

"Son?!"