No pain, no gain

Illumi missed the punch Takemichi was dealt from Kisaki due to having to answer the call of a crying Killua who demanded to be fed. With the piercing cries from the baby ring through the air, Illumi walked off a bit further into the grounds of the shrine to find a quieter place to feed the child. Mikey watched him go but made no attempt to follow.

"Shh, Killua, Illumi's here, I'm here," the sixteen-year-old hushed the baby, slowly swaying side to side as he sat crisscrossed on the dry floor. The bottle of milk was warm having been kept in a thermos and Illumi was gently guiding it to the newborn's mouth humming softly hoping to keep the little one calm.

The night was peaceful, dark skies with scattering stars and a blowing breeze warm and inviting. Slow footsteps announced the sound of an approaching figure, they were heavy but cautious. Illumi's hair created a curtain around his face, one he was unable to fix with both hands being occupied with his child. Scarred hands sifted through the dark locks and pulled them away to the back of his neck, gentle and experienced.

"Thanks, Ken," Illumi whispered, not wanting to disturb Killua.

Draken didn't reply, instead only taking a seat right next to Illumi until they were pressed right up against each other. He hooked his chin over Illumi's shoulder and peered down at the new addition to his friend's life. They were cute, Draken had to give them that. Wisps of platinum hair that almost looked dyed and big crystalline blue eyes started at Illumi far more interested in ignoring the newcomer in favour of the one that had always been by his side and fed him.

Draken followed Illumi's pattern of swaying content to bask in the other boy's humming. "He's cute," Draken finally spoke, low like a rippling wave crashing on the seashore.

"I know right," Illumi took pride in his now declared son's looks. Killua was cute as a button, with wide innocent eyes and the sweetest tiny smile. He may not be Illumi's son by blood but he's his regardless. "The cutest little baby ever!"

As if to prove his point Killua gave a happy gurgle from around his bottle. Illumi's heart spasms in love, his little brother is adorable.

"He doesn't really look like you..." Draken pointed out a bit unsure whether he would upset Illumi or not.

"I know...Killua takes after his mother." Illumi said and didn't elaborate anymore. Draken didn't want to push knowing just how upset Illumi may become after witnessing the earlier attempts from Mikey.

"...would you have joined Toman if Killua wasn't here?"

Illumi didn't respond and for a moment Draken thought he hadn't heard him. He was going to ask again when Illumi finally spoke.

"No...I wouldn't have."

"I see,"

The two sat in silence watching the child. Once Killua was done Illumi took the bottle and placed it in a plastic bag ready to be sterilised when he went home. Illumi slumped back into Draken's hold. He had dark circles under his eyes from sleepless nights while attending to Killua's needs. He rubbed his face into Draken's jacket much like a cat hoping to wipe the sleepiness away from his eyes.

"I'm tired Ken," Illumi yawned, snuffling a bit.

"Then take a quick nap, I'll watch over you." Draken laid a palm over Illumi's head dropping his own to rest on soft hair. "Sleep, Lumi."

To the side in the tree line, a figure watched the two huddled together soft and relaxed. They looked like a new family, two in love fathers and their newborn baby at ease and happy. Oh, how it made jealousy burn their insides. He quickly turned away afraid if he didn't he would be able to control himself.

The night grew old and feelings grew along with it.

~

The next day Illumi was gifted with a lovely phone call from Takemichi demanding to know just where exactly he was 'cause it certainly wasn't school. Illumi was left to deal with explaining to Illumi that he had tested out of school and was currently not attending any educational institution.

It was a lovely conversation once you got past the whining, the crying, and the shitty threats for Illumi to come back to school, and just how could he leave Takemichi alone like this. Once he realised that it was a lost cause trying to get Illumi to come back Takemichi swapped to giving him all the gossip like how he was tasked with getting Baji back in Toman, how there weren't only five members like Mikey said but instead six. Oh, and one of the school teachers was killed. Can you believe that Illumi? Mr. Nirai was killed!

Illumi listened to his friend and gave the appropriate sounds and words when needed. He let Takemichi rant knowing his friend was stressed with all that's going on, I mean he was threatened to get Baji back or be killed. Intense.

Takemichi asked if Illumi could pick him up after school to help him form a plan on how to get Baji back. Illumi thought to himself that the whole thing sounds like an obsessed ex wanting their lover back. Nevertheless, he agreed only because he needed to go out and do some shopping anyway, the groceries weren't going to walk themselves to his door. Illumi ended the call by saying he'd pick Takemichi up.

He packed a bag full of baby stuff and strapped a snoozing Killua to his back before carefully putting a huge hoodie on that covered both himself and the sleeping child. He probably should leave Killua with Yuri but it was only a quick trip to school, surely nothing too exciting could happen.

When he reached Mizo Middle school he didn't expect an unknown person to be standing in the doorway of the classroom Takemichi told him to go to. He also didn't expect poor Yamagishi to sound absolutely terrified holding Makoto back yelling,

"This is Vahalla's number three! Kazutora Hanemiya!!"