Before Dawn

Illumi didn't really want to participate in the battle but he also kinda wanted to see how it went. Call it curiosity about how Takemichi was going to keep everyone on the same page. I mean he was tasked with bringing Baji back and that's been going so spectacularly as he could see.

So here he stood at a familiar shrine in the shadows of the masses of people watching those he's come to know over the past few weeks planning out how tomorrow was going to go.

"The pre-battle meeting for our fight against Valhalla..." Draken declares as he stands tall beside Mikey who looks like he could use a coma or two.

"I'm glad to see you all here today!" Mikey said with a mixture of pride and resignation. "Tomorrow we're going head-to-head with Valhalla. Also...Baji has sided with our enemy. We don't go easy on traitors! That's Toman's policy!!"

"No stopping now, I just hope you know what you're doing Keisuke." Illumi sighed watching the tension in the air.

"Can I...just be a kid?" Mikey said looking -Illumi won't lie- high as balls.

"Huh?" The entire crowd basically said in unison.

Mikey plopped onto the floor of the steps. "I don't wanna fight Baji."

His words were heartfelt and full of pain, longing for his friend to come back. "So here's my solution!" He shoots back up to his feet. "Lend me your strength everyone! Tomorrow we're gonna crush Valhalla...and take Baji back!" A crazy smile had Illumi tilting his head amused, "That's how we fight our battles!"

Toman went crazy with cheers, fists thrown up in solidarity for their leader's cause.

"Sorry, Kenchin. Did I fail as a leader?"

"I think all this cheering answers that."

"Nice way of saying it, Ken."

"Lumi!" Both blonds turn to his half-hidden figure.

"Yo, c'mon let's go eat, my treat."

Illumi felt like tomorrow was going to break a lot of people's hearts so all he can hope is to offer the two younger boys a night with good memories to look back on when times get particularly tough.

"Eh for real?!" Mikey sparkled with joy.

"Mhm," Illumi nodded. "Now let's go before someone decides to invite themselves."

The two were quick to hurry off after Illumi who tracked his way through the darkness of the trees not paying any mind to Mikey who grabbed the back of his shirt in order to be guided.

The outing of foilage led to a stand-alone small car, Toyota if they stood correct.

"C'mon, quickly!" Illumi ushered the other two as he sat in the driver's seat.

"Wait," Draken said. "You're driving?"

"Yeah?" Illumi said it like he was dumb.

"Are you even allowed to?!" Draken asked gesturing wildly. "Is it legal?"

Illumi's face was so incredulous it was almost an insult to Draken. "You two...are the leaders of a gang...are you seriously lecturing me about legality?"

"He has a point, Ken-chin." Mikey shrugged before hopping into the front passenger seat leaving his tall friend outside.

"...fuck it." Draken dove into the seat behind Mikey. "Step on it, Lumi!"

They tore it down the road giggling like high school girls as the open windows blew hair everywhere. They bypassed the city and headed out to the countryside fields of rice and green everywhere.