Anyone's guess

Past

After that night spent with Mikey and Draken, the one where he brutally murdered his teacher Illumi planned to never show his face again. This was a calculated decision on his part, it would be better if he faded away from the eyes of others while he raised his brother or sister. Illumi had a plan and everything, he was going to trick his father and mother into signing all the rights of his new sibling over to Illumi so he could then disappear to smother them in love away from a toxic environment.

When morning came around Illumi got a call from Yuri about his mother going into labour and having been transported to a private hospital a few hours previous. Illumi cursed at the fact that he was only being told now. He rushed from the Sano residence without waking the other two but not before leaving them a note on his whereabouts.

He rushed to the hospital in just enough time to find his father waiting outside for the news on his wife. Kyoka couldn't care less about the newborn, without Kila his empire would be very different and speaking realistically more than likely less successful. Illumi had to wait twenty minutes in silence with his father to hear news about the mother and child.

Eventually, the doctor graced them with her presence to tell them both mother and child are doing well and that everything went off without a hitch. They were able to accept visitors.

The two rushed in for very different reasons and were greeted with a sitting up and tired Kila who was drinking some water while a baby cot lay beside her bed. The new mother had no interest in the child she just birthed, she was achy and sore and ready to sleep.

Illumi crept slowly to the cot and was filled with awe in seeing the tiny human wiggling about in baby blue clothes. He softly reached a hand out and nearly teared up when a small hand reached up to grab it with all their strength.

"Illumi," Kyoka rumbled from beside Kila, making Illumi twist to him. "since you've decided to take on responsibility for the newborn you are to name it."

"Killua," He turned his head back to the child. "His name will be Killua."

"That will suffice."

And so a new member of the Yato family came to be. The minute he returned home with his new brother Illumi set about drawing up a contract where his parents would no longer have rights to Killua and all such responsibilities would be turned over to Illumi. It didn't take long and before dinner, Illumi had gotten his mother and father to sign it, neither anymore knowledgeable in just what they gave up.

The next step Illumi had to plan for was dipping into his savings he had collected in order to find a place to live. He didn't want to be under his parents' house any longer, he felt like it gave them too much power over him even if they were never really home. So he looked around and found a cute one-bedroom apartment to buy, it was small but all he needed. His savings consisted of blackmailed money and some funds he had funneled from his parents' bank under their noses. He planned to do that for a few more years until he was eighteen as then it would be classified as stealing and not a child taking what is necessary for them to live.

He was also taking Yuri...just cause he could. The man had no problems with it so he counted it as a win. Looks like his replacement treatment will have to wait a bit longer. He planned to introduce Killua as his own child and when asked about the mother he will deflect the question, it wouldn't be any of their business anyways. The reason he needed to say Killua was his own is that on his birth certificate he is still known as Yato Killua as opposed to a different last name. Plus, as the second child to a family like the Yato's you were only a chess piece, used for deals that include marriage or something of the likes, Illumi would never allow his little brother to have a life where he is forced to become something like that. As the firstborn Illumi had the most value even if he wasn't going to inherit the business, he would be the face of the family and even his parents couldn't change that. Illumi was tasked with filling that out the day Killua was born so he kept the mother's name blank and put his own as the father. It was the easiest solution in making sure Killua would never be able to be used by his father and mother.