Reasons

August 10th

Illumi loves his friend so it was out of that love he absolutely flayed his sense of style.

"Illumi, how ya holdin' up?" 

"Michi, you look horrendous," Illumi stated bluntly the minute his eyes were forced to settle upon the abomination that is known as Takemichi. Draken, who had been in the room talking with Illumi and helping him pack up choked on his laughter. "Change your clothes and stop acting like a jack-ass. And like quickly, Your outfit is a hate crime to my eyes."

"Huh?..." Takemichi's sunglasses slipped down his face. "H...how am I acting like one?"

"You've got it written all over you," Draken pointed out. "When someone gives you an inch don't take a mile moron."

"Yeah," Illumi fervently nodded his head. "You look like Elvis fucked a tourist visiting Hawaii. And like not even good fucking, it's like hate fucking, just really bad sex, like-"

"Okay!" Takemichi shouted under his red face. "I get it. But this is my first time anyone's ever looked up to me! Let me live a little, okay?!"

"I can't believe you'd admit something that depressing at max volume..." Draken said.

"What are they saying about me?" Illumi curiously asked his friend. 

"They idolise you! Say you're a real badass for taking the stab for Draken."

"Cool," Illumi said not all that interest considering it wasn't that attention capturing. Maybe Takemichi is just shit at explaining things. 

"Ah! Oh yeah. Here," Draken said to the recently stabbed boy pointing to a white bag on a stool near the corner of the room. "It's from Mikey. He said to give it to you."

Illumi took the bag and pulled out a black jacket from it. It had gold embroidery saying  'Tokyo manji' 

"A gang uniform?" Illumi said, eyeing the garment in his friend's hands. 

"That's the uniform Mikey wore when he first started Toman. In Toman that uniform is as important as life itself." Draken informed them. 

"Why does he want me to have this?"

"He said whether you wear it or not is up to you. But he wants you to have it. Illumi you're Toman's saviour, everyone knows that, including me." Draken held some serious eye contact with Illumi. "Let me show my gratitude once more." Draken rose from his sitting position and bent at the waist lowly. "Thank you. Take good care of that uniform."

Illumi held up the uniform in the light of day. "This is Mikey's...he gave this to me...that's heavy. Wonder if I'll ever be the kind of guy that can wear this and feel assured that people I love are behind me?"

Drake smiled softly at Illumi but shifted that to a frown as Illumi got up from his bed and heaved a loud breath. He turned to a surprised Takemichi and bowed the same as Draken refusing to wince. 

"Thank you, Michi, without you I would not be here today but instead resting in my family's shrine." He walked up to the blond and took his hand while pressing his forehead to the back of his hand then giving it a kiss. "You truly are my crybaby saviour."

The blond like many times before burst into large crocodile tears. 

"Illumi~!" 

Yeah, yeah," Draken interrupted them, annoyed with Illumi's lack of attention to him. "Go see Mikey, Takemicchi. He's probably napping on the roof."

While the blond went to speak to the commander the other two were left to sit in silence. Starting to feel uncomfortable about the dampness seeping into his shirt from his wet hair which he had only washed an hour ago Illumi attempted to reach for his bag to retrieve his comb and detangling spray. Unwilling to let Illumi further hurt himself when there is no need to, he nabbs the bag and holds it from the other boy's reach.

"What do you need?"

"Huh? I can get it, Draken just hand me the bag." Illumi protests. 

"No, you're going to hurt yourself again, don't think I didn't notice you hold your breath then you bowed earlier."

"I just want to brush my hair, that's a simple thing, I won't hurt myself."

"Knowing you, you probably will find a way." Draken retorted with sass. He then rifled through the bag and yanked out a bamboo comb and a spray bottle. He read the label and seeing it was detangler he kept it out before closing up the bag and heading to sit behind Illumi. Illumi's protests were ignored and Draken carefully sprayed the detangler through the boy's hair careful to not get it in his eyes. He then started from the bottom of gently combing Illum's hair making sure to not pull too hard when he encountered a knot.

Illumi, while making it known he could do it himself only minutes ago was completely blissed out, he hasn't had someone brush his hair in over ten years, as soon as he could hold a brush his mother left him to do the task himself. Illumi made little humming noises in the back of his throat feeling nothing but contentment as Draken continued his work smiling softly at the one before him. Once his hair was brushed out Draken didn't stop enjoying making Illumi happy, he kept going and didn't realise until the other boy's head hit his shoulder that Illumi had been slowly falling asleep and leaning back onto Draken. 

The blond was extremely gentle when he rearranged them to be leaning against the headboard with Illumi in his arms. If Emma was there with them it would be perfect, he's sure the girl would adore Illumi just as much as he would. Maybe he can set up a day for them to meet up and get to know each other? That's a thought for another time, for now, all he wants to do is revel in Illumi's warmth and smell of vanilla with a woodsy undertone. It was so comforting, like sitting beside an open fire on a winter evening. He would stay there forever. 

He was enjoying the silence when Mikey came strolling through the door and paused seeing the sight in front of him. Illumi was laying on his uninjured side in Draken's arms oblivious to the world and Draken laid his head on top of Illumi's. 

"Don't think I'll give him to you." Mikey coldly said after observing them.

"You would have to have him first, Mikey." Draken snarkily shot back. 

"Don't be selfish, you already have Emma."

"And she will love him just as much. Besides, are you telling me you wouldn't be selfish if he was yours?"

"I can afford to be selfish."

The two stared at each other in tense silence only breaking eye contact when Illumi shuffled in his sleep making little snuffling noises. He was breathing deeply and moving closer to Draken for heat making the blond shoot a smug look at his commander. Illumi curled his arms beside his head before arching his back off the bed as he stretched from his sleep. It was a nice stretch, the kind that leaves a little headache after you're done. 

Illumi cracked open an eye and surveyed the room, "oh Mikey, hi!"

"Hey Lumi," Mikey smiled happily at the boy. "Have a nice sleep?"

"Yes~, Draken brushed out my hair, it was so nice." Illumi smiled wide with his eyes closed and little faint dimples on show. 

"Really?" Mikey's eye twitched. "That's nice."

"Mhm," Illumi agreed. "Draken also-"

"Ken," Draken interrupted him. 

"What?" Illumi twisted around to look at him.

"You can call me Ken," He said.

"Oh, uh sure...Ken." Illumi was a bit off-balance from the sudden permission. 

"You can call me Manjiro!" Mikey cut across not wanting to be one-upped.

"Uh...didn't ye come up with those names for people to call ye?" Illumi asked.

"Well, yes but you can call me by my first name..." Mikey trailed off, not exactly sure how to make his words sound...special. 

"I see..." Illumi slowly said. "Well then, Manjiro, Ken I'd say you two could call me by my first name but ye already decided to take that liberty."

"Hehe," Mikey rubbed a finger under his nose. "We just really like your name!" 

"Sure~" Illumi sniggered.

"Hey stop laughing!" Mikey whined barreling onto the bed and laying on Illumi's tummy leaving the boy to squirm in laughter.

"Please, I can't breathe! Manjiro, get off!"