No way

The present

Going back and forth was taxing on both the body and mind but Takemichi would never mention it because what did his meager suffering matter in the grand scheme of things in trying to save Hinata.

"Thanks for putting up with my request, Naoto," Takemichi said to the detective.

"I'm used to it," Naoto mumbled rather distractedly. "Happens all the time."

He had been constantly on watch and working days and night trying to find Illumi after he disappeared from their little hangout not too long ago. Whispers on the street say Toman finally caught up to him. Others retelling a story of how the elusive shadow once more escaped their grasp. No one truly has a solid answer for him.

"What are you going to ask him this time?"

Takemichi was planning to respond only for him to be interrupted by a security guard approaching them with a rather grim face.

"Detective Tachibana," the stranger greeted them. "I'm afraid your trip today has been in vain. The prisoner you requested had been missing for over a week now. A break out."

"A break out?!" both Naoto and Takemichi exclaimed.

"Unfortunately, things have been rather scattered here so no one thought to alert you that the person you asked to see was no longer here."

"I see," Naoto said bowing in thanks. "thank you."

Dismissed, the security guard left with haste.

"What now?" Naoto turned to Takemichi who honestly didn't know.

Now they had to look for another to fill in the gaps.

And that came in the form of a low rank that was willing to cut a deal.

In another part of Japan

Illumi has gone through much in his life, he fought and survived more. He battled a blood condition while living the life of crime and he's persevered. He's defied all odds.

So after the plane blew up and he was slumped on the ground next to an unresponsive Draken he could tell something was wrong.

He couldn't feel his legs.

Maybe it was the adrenaline or some sick twist of fate that destined him to lose his freedom but Illumi was cursing all that shined above him for their cruel humour.

He had lacerations, deep ones of worthy concern. While he may have escaped instant death some how he could feel his time slipping. The scrabbling of footsteps had Illumi reaching over to his left where a wickedly sharp piece of glass lay innocently.

Handsome as ever with long blond hair, there stood Mikey watching the one of his affections struggle to move easily no doubt causing more harm than good. The gathering of others behind him let Mikey know they had followed him and his hunch in believing that Illumi was too crafty to go like that.

And he was right. Illumi goes by old age or his own hand.

The glass was hidden within his palm cutting into the soft flesh with little care.

"Illumi," Mikey sighed rubbing at his brow bone in frustration. "Why are you like this? Couldn't you have just stayed with me quietly? Look at you now bleeding all over the place and hurt. Silly silly Illumi."

He took a few steps forward but seeing no sign of Illumi moving away had him pausing. Never before would Illumi sit on the ground like that so docile and vulnerable.

"Lumi~? What's wrong?" Manjiro took liberties making hasty steps closer to Illumi who seethed in the helplessness he felt trying to use his hands to scramble away only for them to be knocked out from under him by a certain gang leader.

Illumi quickly hid his shard of glass not wanting his once escape to be thwarted.

"Oh my lovely Lumi," Mikey sang, dragging Illumi into his grasp. "What ails you, my dear?"

Illumi looked out at the crowd before him, fuzzy faces before his eyes, blood loss catching up quickly with him.

"..." Illumi went limp, his reality closing in quickly. "I...cannot feel my legs."

"What?" Mikey huffed. "Maybe you're simply too tired. Let's get you home."

Lifting Illumi was easy, like bearing the burden of your God it was welcomed and taken with reverence. Illumi was held princess-style with his head hooked over Mikey's shoulder and arm accompanying him until Mikey was encased by Illumi. The arm dangled with an object of clear coincidence in its grasp. A fist covered crimson ever so slightly raising it up.

"The only thing Mikey," Illumi said faint and gurgling on the blood flooding his burst lungs. "Is that you've never been my home."

The sickenly slick of a cut throat haunted the ears of Mikey for years just as much as the warm liquid that gushed down his back staining the jacket of Toman.