Once upon a time

It was a circle of people gathered, all gang members waiting to see what would happen.

"One of Toman's founding members, the first division captain, Keisuke Baji." Hanma spread his arms with the usual deranged grin. "He wants to abandon Toman and enter the ranks of Valhalla." Baji stood in front of Hanma facing the crowd. His face was drawn neutral but Illumi picked up the tenseness of his shoulders and twitching of his hands.

'Just what are you up to, Keisuke Baji.'

The announcement had the crowd stirring

"One of Toman's top brass wants in Valhalla?" One fella quired.

"Aint that a bad idea?" Another said suspiciously.

"No this is fuckin' huge!" A Valhalla member hyped.

"Indeed," Hanma's face dropped to a serious cover. "This is a very serious matter. Enlisting Baji will aid us greatly in crushing Toman. But there's one problem remaining!"

A sly smile took over the Valhalla higher up's face. "He might be one of Toman's spies!"

Baji's face was drooped and cold, not a single emotion to be given away.

"So I had Kazitora prepare a witness for us! I will now call that witness forward!

'Spy? Witness? The fuck is this, court? I feel like there should be some law and order music playing. DUN-DUN!'

"Takemichi Hanagaki! Illumi Yato!"

"Y-yes!" Takemichi yelled.

"...yeah?"

"At Toman's gathering, what did Baji say...in front of everyone there?"

Takemichi looked baffled, kinda like a loading browser window. Illumi sighed "He said 'I'm going to Valhalla. Toman is my enemy.' That's what he said before walking out all dramatic like."

It was quiet but a snigger broke the silence, Illumi looked around and when he found the perpetrator he grinned silly at them receiving one in return.

"What do you think, Kazutora?" Hanma asked, breaking the two from their shared amusement.

Kazutora looked on, "The 'Test of Faith' and 'witness summoning'. Don't you think that's good enough? He'll be useful for fighting other gangs. And he knows what went on in Toman while I was away at reform school."

"Plus Keisuke is cute." Illumi pointed out nodding his head sagely. Baji ducked his head with a smile not wanting to show weakness.

"Even if Baji is a spy," Kazutora said. "It's still worth leaving him into Valhalla."

Hanma watched on.

"Right Baji? We will crush Toman." Kazutora had a crazed look in his eyes and not like the hot kind that makes ya wanna see it in the dimness of your bedroom but the kind that makes you check that you've still got your pepper spray on you. "And then...we'll kill Mikey."

Illumi couldn't believe his eyes when Baji bowed at the waist. "Yeah. I'll help you with that, Kazutora!"

"All right. From this day forward..Keisuke Baji is a member of Valhalla!"

The gang rallies, hooting and hollering at the top of their voices.

"Wait a minute!" Takemichi roared and Illumi put his face in his hands just knowing Takemichi was going to embarrass him. "Baji you helped found Toman alongside Mikey and the rest didn't you?! Why are you betraying them?!"

Fed up, Illumi made his way through the crowd attempting to find Chifuyu, he spotted the blond bleeding on the floor. When he was heading in that direction the pretty boy wearing a mask from earlier was suddenly in front of him blocking his way. "Can I help you?" Illumi asked.

"Cute baby."

"I know, if that's all I'll be on my way."

"You see we can't actually let you near him. He's gotta walk outta here by himself."

"I'm gonna make this real easy for ya pretty little thing," Illumi leaned down till he was close to the other boy's face. "Move your cute little self out of the way or I'll move you myself," he drew himself till his lips were even with the blond's ear. "As much as I'd love to do that, I don't think you'd like everyone else to see."

Cold eyes were unmoving but Illumi spotted the blooming of pale pink coming up the other ears and neck. Fortunately for him, he did end up moving out of the way but never removing his eyes.

"Poor baby," Illumi mumbled at Chifuyu before moving Killua to his back and crouching on the floor to and with delicate softness lifted the blond's head. Blood was everywhere and Illumi's heart hurt seeing it. He was careful in trying to get Chifuyu off the floor all the while listening to the story Baji was saying about how when trying to get Mikey his birthday present Kazutora broke into Mikey's brother's shop and killed him.

'Why is everyone here got issues?! Man though killing your friend's brother, that's a whole other level.'

Illumi managed to get Chifuyu hefted up onto his front supporting him like a piggyback but in the front. He made sure no limbs hit Killua before laying the blond's head on his shoulder and straightening up. He made it back to the main circle just in time to watch Hanma throw Baji a Valhalla jacket.

"Hanagaki! Give Mikey this message!! A week from now, on October 31st. In the abandoned car lot. Valhalla vs Toman. Our final fight!" Kazutora declared.

With that announcement out of the way, Takemichi and Illumi were free to go. At the first chance, Takemichi bolted. Illumi was going to ask for Chifuyu's address from Baji but the boy disappeared before he could do so Illumi reserved himself to take the blond back to his little apartment.

Carrying both a child and a teenager may have been challenging for some but Illumi had not struggled as he weaved his way through back alleys and streets holding a few weeks old baby and a bloodied teen. When arriving at home he noticed Yuri was out and believed he must have headed to his own place for some time.

Illumi laid Chifuyu on his bed and then placed Killua in his cot. He wandered to the bathroom for the first aid kit where he returned to start cleaning the boy's injuries. The blond came to consciousness a few times but he was in pain and out of it never staying awake for too long.

Illumi wrapped up his eyes hoping it would keep the nasty cut from getting infected before placing many smaller bandages around the beat-up puppy face. He got a bowl of warm water and a face cloth where he washed dried blood that ran down his neck and ears. Illumi pulled the blond locks away from Chifuyu's forehead, upset at the pain the other must be in. Before he set in for the night he left two aspirins on the bedside table along with a glass of water for when the patient woke up. He then moved to the couch in the other room where he relocated Killua's cot in case he woke up crying, he didn't want to disturb the other.

He had to wait now for Chifuyu to wake up to make sure there is nothing else more serious he'd need to look at. He wouldn't dare touch the blond nor remove clothes while they were our cold. It reminded him too much of a time where things could have gone so much worse.

And so he settled down and waited for a cry, either from Killua or the puppy next room over.