Break up

The silence was deafening with the attempts of others trying to understand exactly just what had happened. Did someone seriously reject an offer to be right there up beside Mikey? Turn away an extended hand of equality and power?

Someone did and it was precisely the one person many so hoped wouldn't even think of doing such a thing.

The blonde gang leader looked at the hand that he reached out to Illumi with, it was now back by his side limp like a fallen Soldier in a war. Perhaps that was a bit dramatic to compare it to but his heart felt like it'd been trampled by the fire stretching lines of soldiers that would march upon land in the name of their kingdoms to restore glory and offer protection. His heart felt trampled and it felt broken, was it something he did? Was there something that his gang embodies that made his one person turn away his offer? Is it because Moebius was now part of Toman?

Mikey knew Illumi despised rapists, in fact, he believes he hates them so much that murder wouldn't be off the table when it came to it. He's seen Illumi bathed in the blood of someone who tried to harm him, if Osanai's death was anything to think about he wouldn't think twice about putting all his eggs in one basket in betting that Illumi had something to do with it.

There is no judgement here with those actions, maybe it's even a bit hot to know Illumi could handle himself so well. Murder wasn't exactly a thing Mikey went around advocating for but when it involves Illumi he was more than happy to give out some heavily seasoned favoritism exceptions.

What exactly is he to do now?

With this rejection after happening Mikey is not sure how he's to keep Illumi within toman. He doesn't delude himself into thinking the boy stays for him and the rest of the members, Yato only shows up because Takemichi dragged him around and pleads with him to follow these meetings and other activities Toman involves themselves in. Did it hurt? A bit, yeah.

He did know Illumi longer, Takemichi that is, but it doesn't make it any less hurtful that he himself as Sano Manjiro wasn't enough to keep Illumi around of his own free will. The blond stared at the little bundle now held in Illumi's arms, he's got a bad feeling about the little thing, he felt like this one child is going to be a reason that he might not see the long-haired beauty that much anymore. It goes beyond the fact that children need excessive care in the early stages of life, it felt rooted deeper like Illumi was already starting to pull away trying to fade into a background that he didn't belong to in the first place.

Mikey wasn't going to let that happen. If he had to glue himself to the other's side so he can never lose sight of him it was a sacrifice he was willing to make, not like it was much of a sacrifice anyway. Maybe in another life or another time such strong emotions would have freaked him out, would have made him push the other person away in order to preserve himself a life of heartbreak but it's gone too far. He's far too deep in the celestial pool that was Illumi. He had only meant to watch the surface ripple and roll for a short time but what started as a slow dipping of a hand into its waters became a submerging drowning of infatuation.

He's not the only one.

Many within and outside the gang hold eyes to Illumi, some curious and some having met him enough to know he's one of a kind, out the window go sexuality and morals. What use is societal constructs and social normality when the person you hold deep affection for breaks every boundary you could ever imagine? What good is it to confirm when it feels so much better to just be by their side completely and unapologetically different?

"Why not?" Mikey mumbled, still looking at his hand. "Did I do something wrong? Do you not like Toman?"

"It's not that Mikey," Illumi sighed. "I have a lot on my plate right now with Killua. Don't get me wrong, I'm flattered by your offer and I'm very happy you trust me enough in order to grant me such a position in the gang, but I just can't realistically follow you around as I could before. Killua is young and needs constant attention from me. I can't be out all hours of the night beating up people from other gangs, I can't be putting myself in danger anymore especially with my blood clotting disease and the fact that I might not be coming home to my child. It's not like I'm going to disappear from your life," He totally was. "I'm just not going to be as present, we can still hang out, I can come over some days. You guys can come over to my place. We can meet up for New Year's festivals, go to get piercings done or I'll help the rest of the boys dye their hair. I just can't fight by your side anymore Mikey."