8

I head to the gym for their morning practice. I’m not used to the schedule but I’m more on time than I was expecting. I walked in and saw that Kageyama and Hinata were already practicing, most of the team looked like they had just got there around the same time I had. 

Kageyama went for another serve when someone zoomed past everyone and perfectly received it.

“Noyaaa!!” Tanaka called out from behind me.

Ah, so this is Nishinoya

“Ryuuu!!” The libero called back,  his blond strand falling back down in front of his face.

The freak duo stood in place. Kageyama seemed equally impressed, startled, and surprised. Hinata’s jaw just dropped.

“Y-you're shorter than me?!” The orange boy yelled running out to Nishinoya.

“WHAT DID YOU SAY??!” He retaliated, clearly offended.

Sensitive subject, noted.

“Gomen..i-I just…haven’t met someone shorter than me before in a volleyball club…c-can I ask how tall you are?” As soon as the words left his mouth I just facepalmed.

“Way to rub salt into the wound.” I said under my breath.

Instead of an expected explosion Nishinoya just answered normally.

“159 centimeters!”

Hinata’s jaw dropped for the second time. “Th-this is the firs-first time I’ve been taller than someone!”

“Being taller isn't such a big deal! Don't get all happy about it!” He grumbled.

I must admit, I was happy about it. I’m only 165cm (5’5”) but being surrounded by giants makes me feel like a mouse, at least I have something going for me.

The new libero began to inspect the first years. Asking about their middle schools and where they came from. I attempted to ignore the sheer volume of his voice and walked to the side to watch the interactions take place.

“I played against them and we lost 2-1!”
“Really?!”
“Yeah!”
“Where did you go?”
“Chidoriyama!”

“Hmm” I say as a verbal reaction, remembering that I read that Chidoriyama was a powerhouse school. This gets Nishinoya to realize I’ve been standing to the side this entire time. 

“We have a new pretty girl?!” He yells a bit too loud for comfort, making me fluster.

“Nakamura Suzuki." Daichi answered for me.

“The writer?!” He points in shock.

“Ha-haha, yeah-uh-“ I awkwardly laughed Flattered once again by the nickname.

If he knew about Kitagawa because of their volleyball team I’m sure that's why he knows me.

“So why are you here?”

“Uh, to keep a long story short I’m writing about kurasuno students and using the volleyball team as some examples and now I’m helping out.” I simplify the situation down. Honestly even I was confused as to how I'm still here.

“Wait uh- why are you at Kurasuno if you went to Chidoriyama?” Kageyama asked from behind him.

The short brunette with a blond streak grinned brightly. “I came because…I like the girls' uniforms! A lot!” 

I just threw my arms up in defeat just as Kiyoko walked into the gym. Perfect timing for the current discussion, then again I feel like that’s not necessarily a good thing.