21

Somehow I was able to get through and survive helping the two study over the passing weekend. It wasn't easy, I mean I knew they weren't the best students but all they need is a passing grade and I assumed you could get that using common sense. How hard could that be?

It was also weird for me to be taking time out of my day in order to study. Usually I'd pull out some flash cards in the middle of class or review a worksheet if I was bored but I never set time aside. I only ever studied the day before.

I had to meet up with the newspaper club today but once I got into the classroom we were faced with the same 'exam talk' we've gotten 20 times already.

It was a different case for the newspaper club than a sports club. Instead of missing practice, games, or a camp, we would miss opportunities for recognition. Kinda like, when it comes to writing you do it because you find enjoyment in it, however you also want to be heard and feel like what you're doing would have some importance. Take my essay for example. I was assigned it at the beginning of the year and it's not due till the end of the year, but if I fail any of my exams I can kiss that project goodbye and we wouldn't have an entry. That's just my situation though. Plenty of other people have entered contests that happen throughout the year, or special tasks that the school gives out, and each of those have consequences of it's own.

It's a case by case situation but to summarize, to find out if you've wasted your time all year or not is reliant on your grade average. Luckily most of the people here are extremely smart. For example Satoru. She's in class 1-5 and is top of all her classes. Every single one. I envy her knowledge and if she goes to a really good college or becomes valedictorian that wouldn't surprise me.

Newspaper always ends before volleyball does. There's specifically about a half of practice left by the time I get down to the gym so after every meeting instead of walking back home with everyone else, I make my way down to the gyms.

I open the doors and I'm greeted by everyone as usual during their 'half practice break.' I suddenly notice a short blond girl standing close to Kiyoko. I walk up to them and smile at the girl.

"This is Yachi Hitoka, the new temporary manager." Kiyoko introduces her lightly tapping her forward, "Yachi this is Nakamura Suzuki, she helps around and takes notes on the team."

"We don't have an official name for it so I just say team journalist." I laugh holding out my hand to shake hers. "It's nice to meet you." I smile.

She shakes my hand. "Nice to meet you too, uh, you seem so familiar, are you in my class?"

"I'm in class 1-4."

"Oh, I'm in 1-5..."

Oh so she's smart smart...

"Ah- you've probably seen me somewhere. Most people have." I scratch my neck.

As the rest of practice went on I gave her a rundown of what I usually do. My explanations are never the best because I get a little sidetracked but I was relieved when I saw her intently listening and understanding what I was saying.

She'll fit in great

I also showed her my notes on each player to give her sort of a rundown on who she'd be interacting with over the course of the year. It was more of a warning than anything. I offered for her to take my notes and copy them if she needed, which seemed to ease her a bit knowing I did the hard work for her. I mean, that's part of my job.

"If any of this gets confusing, you can always find me to try and break it down for you." I offered.

"No, I think I got it...but thank you!" She smiled.

"Of course. And don't worry too much, you'll get it sooner than I think you're expecting yourself to." I laughed causing her to cover her face.

It was the end of practice and everything had been cleaned up and put away. Usually around this time we'd walk down to the store together.

"Yachi!" I call out, "wanna come?" I gesture towards the door where the boys were standing waiting for us.

She looked up to Kiyoko for guidance, which I think was also permission.

"Go ahead." Kiyoko smiled at the younger one, "I don't usually go but you can tag along with Naka."

"Can I?" Yachi then turned to me.

"It's up to you." I shrugged. She just nodded and jogged to catch up to me.

"See you tomorrow!" We waved to Kiyoko who was leaving in another direction.

"She's been smiling so much lately'" Tanaka and Noya both swooned at their manager. I just rolled my eyes.

I noticed Yachi had trailed behind a bit. "Come on, I promise I won't bite." I laughed as she quickly caught up.

"Yes she does." Kageyama said under his breath so I nudged him with my elbow.

"Yachi-san is coming along!" Hinata exclaimed. Him and the blond spent the walk talking to each other.

I see he's giving Yachi the Hinata-rambles-on-forever introduction. As expected.

"I don't bite." I argued to Kageyama as we kept walking.

"Maybe not biting but you're so straightforward it sounds like you bite." He lightly shoved me as payback for my elbow.

"Says the one with a stone cold face all the time." I mocked his face while pushing him back.

"Because you always look so cheery." He tried hiding a small smile while going to pay my head.

"Don't patronize me." I swat his hand away from my head.

"I'm not."

"Is this you saying I'm intimidating? The Kageyama is calling me scary?"

"In your dreams." He pushed me again but I was mid step and off balance so I began to fall. I reached for his arm which was the closest thing to me to pull myself back up. As I pulled myself up he lifted his arm on instinct and I fell into him causing us both to stumble a bit. I turned a bit into him to collect myself as he tried hiding his laughter. We made eye contact and started snickering before I realized we were still so close. I felt myself fluster and I went to push myself away. I guess he had the same idea because he stepped back as soon as I did, not before we both started laughing a little again.

"What the hell are you two doing?" Tanaka asked, turning around with a raised eyebrow, looking between the two of us. He had been walking in front of us this whole time.

"Uh- nothing." I stammered as casually as possible.

"Nope." Kageyama agreed clearing his throat.

"Wait, Naka we have the same science teacher right?" Yamaguchi turned from his conversation to ask me.

"Yeah how come?" I slipped from the staring contest Tanaka was trying ti start over to where Yamaguchi was.