10

"The guy from the supermarket?"

I turn my head up and see the man with bleach blond hair who is usually behind the counter at the supermarket by the school standing next to Takeda. I raise my eyebrow in confusion expecting an explanation to come.

"This is kenshin-ukai. Yes, he is indeed the grandson of the former coach ukai. He will be your coach until your match against nekoma." Takeda introduced him.

Ukai? I remember reading about him once...also good to know we have a game coming up since that was never established to me. I roll my eyes to myself.

"A coach?" Daichi smiled, excited to hear he wouldn't have to be the only person helping the team.

"Yes." The man from the supermarket replied, "And firstly, I've arranged a practice match with you and the Kurasuno municipal team! Before they arrive, I want all of you to start warming up, osu?

"Osu!"

I looked and saw Kiyoko go up and greet the new coach and realized I should be doing the same.

"This is our club manager Kiyoko Shimizu." Takeda introduced her, "Oh, and our own personal journalist, Nakamura Suzuki."

"Journalist?" The coach raised his eye, "Nakamura, the contest winner, is writing about high school volleyball? Do tell me more." He laughed.

So he remembers my name?

"Well, it's more complicated than that to say the least...but I also help take notes on the team. Each of their personal highlights and what they need to work on. Basically what you do in your head, I write down in detail." I hand him my notebook, "I just started so I don't have as much as I normally would have."

He took it from my hand and started flipping through the pages I had. "Heh, why didn't we decide to do this years ago? It's like having our own personal book...you got some good ideas kid. I'm surprised you have such a keen eye for volleyball, then again I've heard you write about random ass topics. I mean what kid writes about a bunch of boring ass adults and makes it good." He handed me back my notebook laughing about me.

"Uh- haha, yeah.." I didn't know how to respond to be completely honest.

I could tell he was eyeing the team and their abilities but the face he had seemed like he was trying to burn them with his mind.

"We're here!" A voice interrupted the practice. As we turned to face the door we saw the Kurasuno municipal team enter.

"Gather up everyone!" Coach Ukai clapped his hands together, regaining everyone's attention.

The boys all ran up to gather in front of him and he counted the players that were on each team.

"The municipal team is lacking a setter, ace, and libero..." he looked around the players standing in front of him, "You! You play libero right? Can you join the municipal team?"

But before Nishinoya could react, Daichi did for him. "You see coach...he can't play."

"Why? Is he injured?"
"No sir but-"

"If he's not injured I don't see why he can't play." Ukai responded clearly, thrown off and confused. Before Daichi could explain the situation Hinata had yelled at the door.

"IT'S ASAHI!!"

"Asahi-san?" Nishinoya immediately turned his head. Hinata wasn't lying either, asahi stood at the entrance clearly debating his decisions.

"Late for practice huh? What position do you play?" Coach Ukai confronted the tall third year.

"U-uhm I'm t-the...ace..." Asahi barely got his sentence out.

"Good! The municipal team needed a libero and an ace. Now go get changed and go over to the other side." The coach commanded with no other questions. Asahi ran to the locker rooms. He turned back to face the team. "Do you guys have a setter? They need one too."

Suga stepped forward proudly with a twinkle in his eyes. "I'll do it. Allow me to set for our ace one more time."

He started to walk onto the court when Kageyama stopped him. "I'm not going to give up this position to you."

Oh god why the dramatics now?

"You know Kageyama," Suga started, "When you joined this team I thought we'd compete for the regular setter spot...but in some aspects, I'm relieved. The setter is the key point of the team's offense and must be absolutely steadfast. But I was scared— still am, of tossing to the spiker. Scared that my sets would be blocked over and over. So. I thought I could hide in the shadows with your overwhelming skill and power. But now-" He looked at Asahi, "Let me set to our ace one last time."

Kageyama just smirked. "Okay. And I'm not going to lose to you."

I grabbed my notebook and flipped it open.

That was such a heartfelt speech Sugawara but you also have such a way with words I have to write at least some of it down. I mean you put the setter's position perfectly.

The first set had been going on for a while with the scores being extremely close as expected.

"SUGA!"

The third year had just caught the ball looking for someone to pass to when he heard the ace finally call for the ball behind him. A smile broke across his face, satisfied with his teammate, he tossed the ball over to him. There were blockers on the other side clearly in the ace's path but that didn't matter. Asahi hit the ball, broke the block, and hit the ground with a loud thud.

Hinata's jaw dropped, impressed by the Ace position and Asahi's demonstration of what they exactly do. I must admit I was equally as impressed. I haven't seen Asahi play until now and I can see why he was such an important player, who was also in such an important position.

Sugawara beamed. His smile was wide and the way he carried himself seemed lighter. The fear that was once there was clearly gone and the old feeling of playing with his friend was back. It was nice to see, almost nostalgic despite not being there those few years ago.

The match continued and ended with the municipal team winning. Despite the loss, you couldn't deny it helped our team connect. I blame the newest—well—the return of the ace.

We said goodbye to the association team and thanked them for the game. We later went and got pork buns, Daichi's treat. We talked about the week of training camp that was coming up. This made me realize I haven't even started getting ready, the only thing I actually did was tell Rin I wouldn't be there this week.

"Hey Rin, you know I'm going away for a week, right?" I wanted to make sure I had told her.

"Yep! You told me a few days ago." She smiled.

"Ok I just wanted to make sure I didn't forget."

"Of course! As long as you come back with a full report and hopefully keep at helping the other members with their information." She laughed.

"Will do!"