Chapter 7: Halloween

(A/N please share this story, it would mean a lot. Question of the day, who is your favorite friendship so far.)

"What do wizards do for Halloween?" I asked Kyra while putting my hair in a braid.

"Eat at the feast and eat pumpkin pastries. What do the muggles do?" She asked doing her eyeliner.

"We dress up and get free candy from strangers," I said making her laugh.

"Muggles really are peculiar aren't they," she said finishing up her makeup.

We walked downstairs to see Aiden reading on the couch. I have taken up a liking to Defense Against the Dark Arts, Kyra fell in love with charms, but Aiden is amazing at potions. 

"Come on, we need to eat before charms," I said extending my hand to the boy.

"I don't want to walk," he whined, putting his potions book down. 

"Come here child," Kyra said, and she kneeled so Aiden could jump on his back.

"Onward!" Aiden yelled, getting the attention of the others in the common room.

The three of us walked through the hall, getting strange looks from the other students. We barely acknowledged it and went on about our business.

"What's everyone's plans for Christmas?" Theo asked, appearing out of nowhere.

"Jesus Christ boy, did you just appear out of thin air!" I yelped, getting more people's attention. 

"If I say yes, will you think it's cool?" he asked, making me roll my eyes, "So anyways, Christmas plans?"

"I'm not welcome home," Kyra said with a defeated sigh.

"I'll be here with you," Aiden said," I told my parents I was staying so you wouldn't be alone."

"You didn't have to," she said.

"You're my friend. I wanted to," he said with a shrug.

"I'll be here too. I'm also not welcome home," I told them, trying to hide my grimace about going home.

"I wouldn't want you home either," Malfoy sneered walking up to us.

"Bold of you to assume I'd want to be with you for the holidays," I snarled back.

"When will you learn to respect me?" He growled.

"When respect is shown to me and my friends. Respect is earned not given, Malfoy," I said with an eye roll before pushing past him.

It's pathetic at this point. I hate him; he hates me. Why can't we leave at that and not talk? But no, we are stuck as transfiguration partners, and he is hell-bent on making me bow down to him as though he is a prince. 

Me and my friends went to Charms. We were learning the levitation spell. I was partners with a boy named Dean Thomas.

"So, is it like this?" Dean asked showing me his wand movement.

"Almost. But move your wrist like this," I said showing him.

Dean sighed and buried his head in his arms. He let out a frustrated sigh and started slowly banging his head on the table.

"What's wrong?" I asked the dark-skinned boy as my feather flew into the air.

"I just feel so behind since I'm a muggle-born," he said, his head still buried in his arms.

"You'll get it. Let me help you," I told him.

I helped him with his wand movement. Soon he was able to get the spell and a proud smile was shown on his face.

"Hayden, can you tutor me?" He begged his smile long gone.

"I don't know how good I'd be," I said unsure, "I also came from a muggle family. I feel like it's pure dumb luck I'm doing okay in classes."

"Please. I'm the only wizard in my family and they are so proud of me. I'd hate to disappoint them by getting kicked out for lousy grades," he begged me.

"Fine," I caved.

"I'll pay you," he offered.

"You don't have to. Thursday nights, meet me in the library," I said to him, "I can help you with everything but potions. The only reason I have a good grade in that class is Mattheo."

"Oh, trust me, I've heard of your potions ability. The one day Riddle was sick you blew up a cauldron," Dean laughed causing me to laugh as well. I felt like I could feel someone's eyes on me, but I didn't know why.

Our conversation was interrupted by an explosion and all eyes were on Seamus.

"Oh, the idiot," Dean said with a boyish grin.

After class, I met up with my friends as we passed the group of Gryffindors.

"It's why she has no friends!" Ron said and the boys laughed.

Then Hermione pushes by them in tears. She is a little annoying, but we are eleven. We are all annoying. I rolled my eyes as Ron started up again.

"And Harry your sister is just as bad. She's such a know-it-all all. I hate to agree with Malfoy, but she's annoying! Maybe there is a reason no one's heard of her compared to you," Ron complained.

"No, she's not!" Dean and Harry said at the same time.

I pushed past Ron making him stumble. When he looked up he was met with my middle fingers. I wasn't hurt by what he said. He's just dumb and is mad he isn't as successful as his older brothers. In my eyes, he is the same level of an asshole as Malfoy. I then ran after Hermione only to find her sobbing in the girl's bathroom.

"Okay, we are not letting some annoying little ginger upset us," I said sitting next to her.

"He's right. I don't have any friends," she sobbed.

"Yeah, well he said I was annoying...just because it's true doesn't mean I'm going to let it bother me," I told her.

"So you agree. I don't have friends," she cried.

"It's only because you haven't asked my group to be friends," I said with a smile.

"Want to be my friend?" She asked with tears in her eyes.

"Of course. See, now not only is Ron annoying, but he's wrong. Again," I told her bringing a smile to her lips.

"Thank you, Hayden," she said through the tears.

"Yeah of course."

I finally convinced her to go to the feast. Only when we walked out we were met with a troll.

"Please tell me I'm hallucinating!" I begged.

"Nope."

Me and her dove under a sink to avoid its club.

"This is bad!" Hermione yelled.

"Really? I had no clue!"

I pulled out my wand and went to use a spell, but the troll brought its club down on my foot making me drop my wand and let out a string of curses.

"Help! Someone help!" Hermione screamed and pulled me into a corner.

I felt my vision go black as I screamed from pain. I heard the voice of my brother and Ron. I was cradling my foot, just trying not to be in the way. Whenever the two boys had defeated the troll they both ran to Hermione first. I quietly cried in the corner as the teachers walked in. 

"What's the meaning of this!" McGonagle demanded. 

"It's my fault, Hermione spoke up. I thought I could fight the troll. I drug Hayden against her will because I knew she was so bright. If Harry and Ron hadn't of followed us I probably would be dead, and I would have gotten Hayden killed too," Hermione lied. 

"Also, I'm in a lot of pain!" I spoke up, still not able to stand.

Ron rolled his eyes as Snape walked over to me, "Can you walk?" 

"No," I cried.

Snape went to pick me up but I panicked and pushed myself away from him. In the process, I hit my head on a piece of loose concrete. I heard someone say my name before my vision went completely black.