Divided

(AN, so there are strong emotions toward the characters. Comment what you think will happen? Please enjoy!) 

Mattheo's POV

"We can't take him," another orphanage owner said, "His blood is stained with evil." 

"He is a child!" Severus demanded, "Please just take him!" 

"And Tom was just a child too. I don't want any association with his kind."

"No one will take me, will they?" I whispered to Snape. 

"We will find someone, Mr. Riddle," Snape said, dramatically storming out of the orphanage. 

We went to the last orphanage in the city. It was run down, and a small man came walking out. He grimaced when he saw me, and I figured I would be rejected here as well. But to my surprise, he took me in. 

Only to torture me. 

"Your brother killed my wife!" He yelled before using the torture curse on me. 

"Please! I am not my brother!" I shouted in agony. 

It never stopped. I was beaten from sunup to sundown. I had no way out. I had no hope for my life. Then the Hogwarts letter came.  

"Great, they can teach you magic so you can be evil like that despicable brother of yours!" The man shouted before punching me. 

I started bleeding and crying as he beat me. He wanted to kill me. After all, if I was dead, I couldn't be like him. Like my brother.

"Mattheo, wake up," A soft voice said shaking me. 

I sat up, sweat all over my body. My hair was stuck to my forehead with sweat and I felt unconscious tears falling down my cheeks. 

"You were screaming," Hayden said, sitting next to me, keeping her distance.

 "I am sorry to wake you," I told her, pushing the hair from my face. 

"It's fine Mattheo. I want to be here for you," she told me, gently grabbing my hand. 

I pulled her into me. Normally I hate to be touched, but with Hayden, all I wanted was to feel her touch. I pulled her onto my lap and held her close to me. I rested my head on her head as her arms went around my waist. 

"What if Tomo is right?" I whisper, "What if I am evil?"

"Mattheo, the fact that you are scared to be evil means you aren't," she said, pulling away to stare into my eyes. 

"I have qualities to be evil," I told her. 

"You do. But having evil qualities doesn't make you evil. It is when you choose to act on them that it becomes an issue. Mattheo Riddle, you are not evil," she told me, resting her hand on my cheek. 

"Thank you for coming in here," I told her, "I know it may seem weird, but can you sleep here tonight? I feel safe when you are in my arms." 

"I'd love to," she told me. 

I lay down and she lay on top of me. I had my arms around hers, and her head was on my chest. I held her tightly. She was mine. Not like in my property, but mine to love. Mine to protect. And mine to be good for. I don't know who I'd be without Hayden Potter. 

A Potter and a Riddle, how ironic. 

Blaise's POV

"Blaise, what's the train going to be like?" Hayden asked me, sitting on my bed while I packed.

"Kyra and Theo aren't budging on how they feel about him," I informed her.

"So, we will be split up," she mumbles, "That's great." 

"I am going to go between the two. I don't think either is wrong, and I don't want to lose a friend," I told her, "But I am going to sit at the Slytherin Table this year. You and Luna are welcome."

"Thank you. I have a feeling that this will be a strange year," she admitted. 

"Very. Just promise me that you will try to stay safe," I asked her. 

"Only if you do the same." 

"I promise," I said, sticking out my pinky to her. 

"I promise too," she said hooking my pinky. 

Once he was done packing, we went downstairs and saw that Mattheo was sitting at the table, and everyone else was in the living room. Mattheo was trying to hide his hurt, as everyone sat in the living room laughing and talking. 

"Here are the cookies and hot coco!" Luna said skipping in and setting down a plate with four cookies and four cups of hot coco. 

"Are you coming?" Luna asked me and Hayden, "I wanted to enjoy my pre-Hogwarts tradition." 

"We'd be honored," I said, sitting across from Mattheo. 

"What about the others?" Hayden asked, but I already knew. 

"They didn't want to sit with him, so they don't get cookies or hot coco," Luna explained. 

I can't believe that they can't put their pettiness aside for Luna. Hayden also looked pissed but hid it. She sat next to Mattheo and forced a smile. Luna passed out the chocolate chip cookies and hot coco, a soft smile on her face.  

"To the fourth year!" Luna said, lifting her mug.

"To the fourth year!" We all cheered and clashed our mugs together. 

We drank the hot coco and ate the cookies in silence. Not an uncomfortable or angry silence. But a peaceful one. Hayden and Mattheo held hands under the table, and Luna wore a giant smile on her face. 

"Alright kids, it is time to go!" Mrs. Zabini said, giving us all a look. 

We all got up and used the floo network to get there. We all were standing in silence. This was not a comfortable silence. When we got on the train, Kyra, Theo, Aiden, and Tomo walked down the other way. 

"You can go with them. There's no need to lose them over me," Mattheo said, letting go of Luna's hand. 

"I told you, I will always be there for you," Hayden told Mattheo. 

"I no longer want my original adopted parents. I want you to," Luna said, before hugging Mattheo. 

"I don't know what to do," I whispered to Hayden as Mattheo and Luna went to the normal compartment. 

"Blaise, there is no right answer. I understand either way," Hayden told me before going to the normal compartment. 

I don't want to lose anyone. I already have to fear a wizarding war, and now there is a war in my friend group. And I don't know what to choose. 

"Blaise, are you coming?" Luna asked, peeking her head out into the hallway. 

I turned to see if Kyra was looking for me. But she didn't. Did she care that I wasn't with her?

"Yeah, I am," I said walking into the compartment and sitting next to Luna. 

"Thank you, mate," Mattheo told me, a sheepish smile on his face. 

"Anytime," I told him, smiling back.

These people would choose me and protect me. Would the others?