Nini

The first four chapters explain the backstory of Ricky, Nini, EJ, and Gina. It explains how they ended up the way they did, it starts with the nicest backstories, but the last chapter has to be the saddest.

Nini's POV - (4 years old)

I have a perfect life, my friends were the best, my moms were amazing, they made me believe I could do anything.  I loved my grandma, she'd always tell me stories about her past, to the point where I can imagine being in her shoes, living in the past.  I loved my family, I loved my life.

I was in my room, sitting on my hammock chair thinking of a good song I can sing for my friend, Ricky, his 4th birthday party was today and he was having this awesome superhero party.  I already had my gift for him, but I want to give him a song, not just a happy birthday song, he'll get that song when he gets his birthday cake.  I want to sing him another song, but more special, how much our friendship means to me.  I've known Ricky forever, basically, he was like my brother, my skateboard-loving-video-gamer-superhero-expert-happy-snarky brother.

I heard a knock on the door while I was playing with the strings on my Ukele.  "Come in!"  I say.  My mamma C walks into the room.  "How's the song coming?"  She asks, but by the look on my face that it was not going well.  "I can't find a good song to sing for him!"  I get off my hammock chair and collapse on my bed, who knew finding another birthday song would be so hard?

"Um, baby girl"  Mamma C laid down on the bed next to me.  "Why don't you write your own song?"

I sit up and look at her with a confused look, I've never written my own songs before, I've sung my own song, but the lyrics never rhymed.  My moms loved it anyway, they would always pretend that I'm this super pop star, clapping, and asking for autographs, whatever those are.

"You really think I can?"

Mamma C sits up and wraps her arm around me, I lay my head on her shoulder.  "You can do anything, you just have to believe you can," she tells me.  "Now, you better write fast, we have to leave in a few minutes." 

As she left the room, I take my journal from my hammock and start writing, it was so weird, the words just flew out of me. The more I wrote, the happier I felt, like fireworks shooting out of me, is this how it feels to write a song?  I had no idea how, great, amazing.  Alive that can make you.  The writing was like, I don't know how to explain how it made me feel, but one way was like a burst of energy, like how the superheroes around Utah burst out.  Yeah, you heard me, there are superheroes all over Utah, my friends, Ricky, Big Red, and E.J. are huge fans, not that I'm not, knowing that superheroes are real makes me feel like my life takes place in a Marvel movie.

A while after I arrived at Ricky's birthday, not long after we cut the cake, I asked him to meet me in his room, alone.  When he walked into the room, I was sitting on his bed.  "Nini, what's up?"  He asks as he sits in the chair across from me.

"This is my second birthday present for you.  I wrote you a song!"

It's like the minute I said that he quickly lit up, he was kinda excited, he had a huge smile on his face.  "Really?!?!  Can I hear it now?!?!  Please?!?"  I giggle at his eager personality, I hope that never changes, he's like a beam of sunshine, always brightening up a day, even if it's bad.  I start strumming my Ukele and begin singing.

So much has happened, think of what we've done
In the time that the Earth has traveled 'round the Sun
Winter, Spring, Summer and we're back to Fall
We've been together hand-in-hand through it all
From the minute we met and my heart skipped a beat
To the night that we danced, I was swept off my feet
Sure is every year has to come to an end
I'd go spinnin' 'round the Sun with you again and again and again and again
I think I kinda, you know
Like the way that we flow
Like the way that we go
And I love
I think I kinda, you know
I think I kinda, you know, you know, you know
Sometimes you know exactly what to say
Then you open your mouth and the words go away
Don't want you to wonder or to doubt or guess
So let me tell you clearly what I'm tryna express
It's just three little words, yeah, it's not a big deal
It's not like I can help feelin' all that I feel
And by now, I'm sure you're thinking it's so obvious
But just in case it's not, what I'm sayin' is this, what I'm sayin' is this
I think I kinda, you know
Like the way that we flow
Like the way that we go
And I love
I think I kinda, you know
Mm, I think I kinda, you know, you know, you know
You know how we can talk all night
And not run out of things to talk about
It's rare that somethin' feels this right
It feels so right
I think I kinda, you know
I think I kinda, you know, you know, you know
I think I kinda (oh), you know
I think I kinda, you know
I think I kinda, you know, you know, you know
I can't help dreamin' of you
Guess I'm sayin' I don't not love you
You know, you know, you know