Tis the season | 34

"Elizabeth!" I called

"Yes ma'am?"

"Uh, what have we spoken about?"

"I apologise ma'a- i mean maria"

"Its ok. Anyway, Please can you grab me that box of decorations" i pointed to the box on the floor by the bottom of the step ladder.

"Of coarse maria" she picked up the small, cardboard box and handed it to me.

"Thank you" i smiled.

It was the 16th of December, early morning, and i was decorating for the holidays. To be honest i was beyond exited. Christmas was my favourite time of year, when you really appreciate family, and get to feast on mountains of food without being judged because 'it's christmas'.

That has to be the best part of all.

I hung the holly-wreath onto the front door, carefully adjusting it to my liking.

"Perfect" i whispered to myself.

We had 8 christmas tree all together, and that was only in the front yard. Tinsel and colourful lights were wrapped around the pillars by the door, sparkling brightly.

"If i may, i still have a few chores that i need to complete" Elizabeth announced, holding her hands behind her back politely.

"Of coarse, have a good rest of your day" i smiled, climbing down the steps.

"You too" she nodded, before disappearing into the garden.

I finished tidying up the decorations I'd left out and made my way into the house. I felt a strong gust of wind brush against me causing me to shiver. The house was quiet, too quiet. A few of the maids had taken the dogs out on a walk, i wasn't sure where Elijah was, and most of the maids had left on their holiday break.

I wandered through the halls, listening to my soft footsteps as they echoed around me. I took my time to admire the festive decor. Colourful garlands were wrapped around every portrait on the hallway walls.

I gently knocked on Elijah's office door. To my surprise, i heard a voice behind the door. I slowly opened it.

The room was dark and cold, definitely not Christmassy. The curtains were drawn making my surroundings barely visible and all i could hear was the stern voice that belonged to Elijah as he spoke, very angrily, to someone on the phone.