Flames | 46

-recap-

-recap-

my hand sat on the doorknob as i pulled it open

my body suddenly froze, terror washing over me. 

The air was trapped in my throat and i found myself gasping, like i was drowning. the same feeling i felt all those years ago. tears brimmed my eyes as my stomach churned and tightened at the sight before me. 

My voice came out quiet and high, the one of a child  "mama?..."

...

my mother's once brunette hair was a mix of silver, similar to my father's, and it now reached her shoulders. 

my father had grown a line of stubble along his jaw while small and short wrinkles stretched around his eyes. 

to me, they still looked the same, even buried underneath all of the apparent aging. 

The dim light of the foyer caused my mother's tearing eyes to shine as they trailed over me. 

"oh my baby girl" she whispered, her Russian accent still as present as it was when I was a child.  She enveloped me in a hug but my arms remained pinned to my sides. i glanced over her shoulder at my father who nodded to me, a small smile curling his lips. 

my mother finally released me but I stayed frozen in place, still trying to comprehend the past 10 minutes. 

Due to my confusion, i never noticed them push past me further into the house. 

i shook myself out of my daze at the sound of their voices. i spun around, closing the door as i did. 

my father had his head tilted to the ceiling, admiring the golden chandelier above us. "don't you think, my dear, that it resembles ours in the house back in Poland?" he said, his arms crossed tightly over his chest. 

"oh yes, very much, my darling" my mother answered with certainty. 

i opened my mouth to speak, but all that emerged was a small murmur. however, this still caught their attention. 

"is something wrong, Maria?" my father asked.

i stared at him dumfounded for a moment "you've been pretending to be dead for the last 15 years, something is very wrong! how are you even alive ?" 

a smirk darkened my father's face and it caused worry to lie heavily in my gut. 

he moved his blazer to the side slightly and through his shirt I noticed the outline of a bullet-proof vest "I never go anywhere without one"

I felt winded. I dragged a hand down my face as my scoff faded into a bitter chuckle. I stared my father dead in the eye. my mother's skin paled slightly "are you fucking kidding me?" I whispered.