Birthday | 38

Birthdays

Birthdays.

I never really liked them.

Every year emma, Alek and Silas would drag me out to some sort of club, which i must admit I enjoyed, expect for the raging hangover I'd have the next morning.

To me, it's just another day, only with presents... and cake.

Oh fuck

i have to admit birthday cake is better than any other cake I've known. Although i have yet to try red velvet cake, which I'm told is to die for.

The second best cake has to be vanilla or Victoria sponge. Basically the same fucking thing just with jam and creme.

Chocolate comes last of coarse, unless it has that really sweet chocolate fizzle over the top. But still it's only about 4th.

The third is fairy cake, you know like the one you used to get in school? Fuck me, I'd pay millions just to try a slice of that exact cake again.

My grandmother used to have a fantastic recipe for fairy cake. Lovel-

Wait, why am I rating cakes?

I sat up, resting my back against the headboard when the bedroom door began to slowly creep open.

Elijah tiptoed inside, gently placing a tray onto the Bedside table. He must not of noticed i was awake due to the poor lighting.

"I'm awake" i mumbled, startling him.

Even in the dark, i could see that dimpled smile that'd make butterflies go crazy in my lower stomach.

"Happy birthday, mi amore" he leant down, pressing a kiss to my forehead. "I have something for you"

He handed me a large, rectangular box and i pulled at the neatly tied ribbon, watching it fall effortlessly.

Inside were a set of golden throwing knives, just like the pistol he had bought me for Christmas, with the same quote engraved along the handle.

I ran my fingertips over it. It's absolutely beautiful.

"Thank you" i raised my head to look back at Elijah.

"I have one more for you"

"Elijah you really didn't have t-"

"Shush" he shoved another gift box in front of me.

I slowly tore off the wrapping paper.

The lid of the black velvet box popped open with a tap of the golden button on the front. Inside was a golden locket in the shape of a heart. When I opened the pendant, I felt tears beginning to sting my eyes.

A picture of me and Elijah, on the first day we met, was fixed in the little frame.

"Maria? What's happened? i-"