Together | 48

the first thing i noticed when i began to wake was the low humming sound coming from beside me

the first thing i noticed when i began to wake was the low humming sound coming from beside me. i found it strangely helpful as it anchored me back to consciousness. i trailed my fingers along the sheet that covered me. the fabric was soft, and for a few seconds i studied how it felt on my skin. 

my hands continued to roam until they met a familiar head of curls, and on instinct tangled themselves into the bunch. i let out a relieved sigh, knowing who they belonged to. 

With his head laid beside me on the bed, palm enclosed around my knee, Elijah was softly snoring. i shifted his hair to the side so i could see his face, gently as not to wake him. even in sleep, his brows seemed to be slightly drawn together anxiously, and  i couldn't help but frown at the purple bags that his long dark lashes currently laid over.  

i had no idea how long I'd been out for, but from looking at Elijah, it must have been a while. 

He suddenly started to stir next to me, and i sat quietly and waited, still combing my fingers through his hair. 

he lifted his head slowly, allowing his eyes to adjust and wander around the room, until they finally landed on me. i heard him inhale sharply at the sight of me and i smiled. 

he whispered my name. he sounded unsure,  as if he was asking the universe if i was really looking back at him. 

i cupped one side of his face, tracing his cheekbone with my thumb "hi baby"

without wasting another second, he wrapped me in his arms. i sighed as i welcomed his warmth. his lips pressed to the bare skin of my neck in between his frantic mumbling .

"i thought i'd lost you" 

"don't leave me again, please " 

"i'm so glad you're okay" 

" i love you"

" i love you" 

" i love you"

after a few minutes we settled down further onto the bed, clinging onto each other, fearful to let go. i rested Elijah's head onto my chest, holding him close to me while i traced his inked arms. 

"how long was i out for?" i asked. 

"almost a week" Elijah replied as he intertwined my free hand with his. " everyone has made sure to visit at least three times a day. Emma even tried to sleep on the floor in here" 

 "how have you been?" it was a question i was afraid to ask, because i knew that the answer would tear at my heart. 

"i haven't left this room since you were admitted to it. my sister has been bringing me clothes and food, and flowers for you" 

i noticed them sat upon the dresser across the room. 5 vases filled with bright bouquets of tulips, sunflowers, pink azaleas, hyacinths and nerium oleanders. Elijah followed my line of sight to them.