5.3 ~ Surfing the Aftershocks

"And, yes, I know the dead girl who isn't dead anymore

"And, yes, I know the dead girl who isn't dead anymore."
- Emily Fields

It was the next day when we got ready for the funeral. I was already changed into my black dress, my knees to my chest as I curled up in a ball. I took a deep breath and looked out the window as Jason got dressed.

This hit hard for me, finding Mrs. Dilaurentis laying there in the dirt. She kind of acted like a mother figure to me when Alison and I first started hanging out. However, our relationship was never the same after Alison disappeared. Now Alison comes back home and we find her laying there dead in the dirt?

"(y/n)."

I sniffled and wiped the tear from my eye as Jason walked over to me. "How are you doing?" He asks as he kneels down next to me.

"I should be asking you that." I say as I turn to him. "She's your mother." I say with a sad smile.

"I'll be fine." He says as he grabs my hands.

"You don't have to pretend with me Jason." I say as I push some hair away from his face.

I take a deep breath as he looks down. "Where's Alison?" I ask changing the subject. "In her room. The girls came to visit, but we figured Alison would want to be alone so--" He says but I cut him off. "I get it." I say in understanding.

"How's your stomach?" He asks as he lifts my dress up slowly to see the stiches along my side. "It's healing." I say as he brushes his fingers along the cut.

"Jason I don't think I should be staying here." I say changing the subject. "The situation with Alison and now your mother? I can't do this to your family." I say as I look down on the ground.

"Your dad already made it clear last night that he doesn't want me staying here." I say as I look him in the eye.

"We'll talk about this later alright?" He asks as he kisses my forehead. I sigh and nod my head in understanding as he brings me into a kiss.

"Come on, the funeral will be starting soon." He says as he stands up straight.

I sigh and take his hand as we exit his room together.

~

I stood next to the girls in the living room as we waited for Alison to come down. Mr. Dilaurentis and Jason were standing next to each other having their own conversation. "I don't want to see any police... not at the funeral, not at the cemetery. No police, no press." Mr. Dilaurentis explains to him.

"I took care of it." Jason says as he turns to me.

"Did you?" He asks confused. "Yes, I did." Jason says annoyed.

I sigh as Hanna walks over to us. "Hey, how is she?" Aria asks curiously.

"She's getting dressed." Hanna explains to us. "Yeah, but how is she?" Aria asks worried.