2. the first lie.

ACT ONE
(the first lie)

VERONÍCA SMILED widely while she intently listened to the boy ramble about facts. Facts about the snail that slowly made its way over a leaf.

Just as his fact finished, another snail begin making its way over to the first one, causing Veroníca to point at the two. "Do you think that's his girlfriend?"

"No, ma. Snails don't have girlfriends. Did you know, snails are actually the reason cupid shoots love-darts! They shoot darts into the other, darts that look just like cupid's arrow." Rory rambled, making hand motions as he explained.

Veroníca was about to praise her son for knowing so much, but sadly before she could, the sound of a branch snapping broke her out of her happy state.

"I'll be right back, try to hide, okay?" She reassured, patting his head before grabbing her knife from her waist band.

As the woman made her way towards the wandering flesh-eater, she smirked as she threw the knife, smiling wider as it implanted itself into its head.

Sadly her smile dropped as the undead did, seeing as the sound of her son yelling made the woman instantly run towards the boy.

As she made it to him, she was shocked to see four men alongside the boy, also seeming to look at Rory in shock.

The men's shock soon turned to wariness as the woman held her weapon at them. Making the men copy her stance, weapons pointing between all of them as they spoke.

"Let him go." Veroníca said, directly to the man whos hand was still wrapped around her son's forearm.

While the man she was pointing her knife at didn't reply, a younger man who wore a red and brown baseball cap was quick to put his weapon up, before speaking softly. "We don't mean any harm, we—we're just looking for someone.."

Instead of replying, Veroníca lifted her eyebrows the slightest bit, dropping her weapon to her side as she urged him to continue.

Sadly, before he could explain the booming voice of her brother now filled the air "Now, who the hell are you people." He questioned, already pointing his machete at the one with the crossbow.

"Aiden. They're looking for someone, a kid."

"Yeah—Maybe you've seen her.. She's—about the same height as him." The young one then gestured towards Rory, before forcefully removing the meaner one's hand off of the boy.

"I saw her." Rory finally spoke, his voice cracking as he did, signaling to his mom that he was lying. "I saw her earlier. She was running.. We-we could help you look."

The men then looked between one another before the one, who seemed like the leader, gestured for the other three to follow him.

Veroníca watched intently as the men gathered in a small circle, discussing whatever it was they were having trouble figuring out.

When the woman knew they were occupied, she was quick to begin checking her son for any harm done, whispering to him as she did. "Why'd you lie to them?" She spoke as she moved the hoodie off his head, checking his neck.

"Ma.. Ma, they didn't hurt me.." He groaned, annoyed as he continued. "They're the best chance we have. With them—with them we actually have a shot."

The woman pondered for a moment before nodding a little. While she agreed, her brother was quick to make known that he did not. "Are you serious? These random men run up on us, in the middle of a forest!—and you want to go with them? What if—"

Aiden's concerns were cut short as the group of men came back over to them. "You can help us find her, but then you three are gone.." The leader spoke, his voice seeming wary.

It seemed as if he was still on the edge, it was noticeable that he didn't want the trio to come with him. Veroníca assumed he only allowed them to do so because of Rory's age.

Veroníca and Rory nodded, ignoring Aiden harsh glare as they did so, it wasn't long before the trio was hesitatingly following the unknown men deeper into the forest.

-

authors note: another short chapter
but they will get longer!!