66. red machete.

ACT TWO
(red machete)

     VERONÍCA SAT WITH RORY in front of her, the woman had been running her fingers through his hair. Hoping to tame it a little bit, not that it mattered due to the current situation they were in.

Half the group had been crowded in the tiny office, the rest of the group, including their leader had gone to hide in the woods surrounding the church. Waiting patiently for when Gareth's group finally decided to come inside the church.

It was an ambush, while normally Veroníca would've been helping Rick. She would rather stay here, she was hoping that staying here would convince her mind that she wasn't a murderer.

After all, she knew Rick's group was going to kill Gareth's and she had still felt the leftover guilt from killing the governor. Even if he deserved it.

When footsteps suddenly thudded against the hardwood floor, Vee dropped her hands from Rory's hair. Grabbing onto her throwing knives as the group listened intently.

"Well, I guess you know we're here.. And we know that you're here." Gareth's mumbled voice came from outside the office. Quiet footsteps still sounding through the church.

Rosita and Veroníca shared a look as the man spoke, seeming to send each-other silent words of encouragement.

"We're armed—So, there's really no point in hiding anymore.. We've been watching you, we know who's here." Gareth paused, the group remaining completely silent. "There's Bob, unless you put him out of his misery already. Eugene, Rosita, Tyreese, Veronica, Carl, Rory, Andre, Judith—Rick and the rest walked out, with a lot of your guns."

Gareth paused, expecting a response.

When Rick's group remained silent he sighed, speaking up again. This time much more rushed. "Listen, we don't know where you are but this place isn't big. So, let's stop this now before things get more painful than they need to be."

Gareth then pointed towards the empty office, sending his men closer to the door. Unaware the group wasn't in that room.

They rattled the door knob, not that it mattered seeing as it was locked.

"Look, you're behind one of these two doors and we have more than enough fire power to take down both. Can't imagine that's what ya'll want."

After his sentence, Gareth cocked his gun. Rory tightening his grip on his Hello Kitty knife, well aware that if the intruders did come in, Veroníca wouldn't let him run at them.

"How 'bout the priest? Father, you help us wrap this up we can let you walk away from this."

Veroníca sent the man a death glare, signaling him to keep his mouth shut. Not that he was planning on calling out to them either way.

"Just open the door and you can go, you can take the baby with you."

Judith then began to cry on cue, her loud cries echoing in the quiet church. Rory rushed over to attempt to shut her up, mumbling incoherent words as he lightly shook the homemade crib.

Though Gareth didn't verbally reply, the silence from their group had shown Rick's group that they definitely heard. Which wasn't a shock.