9. flirting and confrontation.

-

ACT ONE
(flirting and confrontation)

   AIDEN HAYES not only was great at confrontation. He was also good at picking up body language.

The man had took two years worth of psychology classes. Although he got himself kicked out, because of an incident in which he beat up the professor. The man still did pick up on a few things. One of those things being tale-tell signs, that someone was lying.

So as Hershel spoke, and Veroníca absentmindedly played with her son's hair. Aiden couldn't help but pick up on the body language around the group. "Blessed be God. Father of our Lord, Jesus Christ. Praise be to him, to give to our brother, Otis. For his span of years, for his abundance of character; Otis. Who gave his life to save a child's, now more than ever, our most precious asset. He died as he lived, In grace." the old man paused before turning to Shane, continuing once more. "Shane, will you speak for Otis?"

"I'm not good at it." As Shane denied the request, the Hayes siblings sent eachother a suspicious look. Turning to watch Shane more intensely now. "I'm sorry."

"You were the last one with him. You shared his final moments, please. I need to know his death had meaning."

At the older woman's pleas, the group went silent. Patiently waiting for Shane to speak, which he did. "Okay——We we're about done.. Almost out of ammo. We we're down to pistols by then. I was limping. It was bad. Ankle all swollen up."

Shane paused for a moment, Aiden standing up straighter as he examined the man.

It wasn't hard for the man to figure out that Shane was lying about something. While Aiden didn't know what, he did know if he threatened the man enough he'd probably cave.

So as Shane continued on, describing the moment in detail. Aiden discussed threats in his head, searching for the perfect one. "He gave me his backpack. He shoved me ahead. Run he said. I'll take the rear, i'll cover you—And when I looked back.."

Shane paused examining Otis' wife. With a gulp, Shane walked over placing a rock onto the pile as he continued. "If not for Otis. I'd never made it out alive. That goes for Carl too. It was Otis. He saved us both." Shane paused once more, seeming to check if his story was believable before he continued. "If any death ever had meaning, it was his."

As his speech came to an end, Aiden met the eyes of Dale. Who looked just as suspicious as he did.

So as they silently looked at one another, Aiden quickly nodded. Seeming to send the silent message  to Dale that his story seemed unbelievable.

-

      Veroníca hummed a song as she helped Carol, the duo was currently putting up a tent. Smiling as the realized that they'd have somewhere safe to sleep, and smiling more when Glenn walked over. "You guys—Uh—Need a hand?"

Carol smiled aswell, shrugging as she spoke. "We could use all the help we could get."

"I could use all the help I could get too." Maggie voice appeared, making the trio look up from the tent. "I hear you're fast on your feet and know how to get in and out. Got a pharmacy run. You in?" Maggie questioned, staring at Glenn with raised eyebrows.

At her question, Glenn glanced over at Veroníca who urged him to answer the woman, which he did. "Uh—Yeah.. Give me just a second.." He said, turning back to Carol and Veroníca. Continuing to help pitch the tent silently.

As the silence was beginning to get a little awkward, Dale walked up pulling Maggie away. Worriedness written all over him as he questioned her.

As soon as the short-haired woman left ear shot. Carol and Veroníca shared a look, turning back to Glenn. "Oh, Glenn, don't you want to help me—pitch the tent?" Veroníca mocked, a fake flirty tone in her voice as she giggled.

"Yeah—of course—I could tell her no?" Glenn answered, obviously not understanding the joke.

"Glenn, do you want to walk me over to that tree?" Carol added, same fake mocking tone in her voice.

While the women laughed at their joke, Glenn furrowed his eyebrows before talking again. "What?"

"She was definitely flirting with you." Veroníca said, Carol nodding along as they smiled at the man.

"She was?"

"Obviously.. I mean—pharmacy run? Newest flirting method in the book."

"Huh.." Glenn said, seeming to take in the new information before staring at Veroníca again. "Should I tell her no then?" He questioned, looking very nervous.

"Now, why would you want to do that?" Carol asked, laughing a little as she stared at Glenn as if he was insane.

"Uh—I—I don't know." He answered, looking back down at the tent in his hands.

"We got this." Carol said, turning to Veroníca as she continued Carol's sentence. "Yeah—you can go run off with Maggie, chico amante."

Glenn stared at the woman, only leaving as they shooed him off. Turning to each-other with a laugh as he nervously ran towards Maggie and two horses.

-

    Aiden stopped listening to Rory as he saw Shane. The man was alone which made a light bulb click in the man's head. "Yeah—Yeah—that's great. Hey, why don't you go tell Carl, okay?"

"Okay!" Rory spoke, rushing towards the house with a skip in his step.

As his nephew got further and further from him, he got closer and closer to Shane. A shit-eating grin on his face as he sat down on the picnic table across from him.

"What do you want?" Shane questioned, messing with the guns on the table.

"Not much—Only to know why you lied." Aiden spoke in a a sing-songy tone. Smiling wider when Shane practically slammed the weapon back onto the table.

"What'd you just say to me?"

"Woa—woah—kind of aggressive for an innocent question." Aiden smiled, dropping his smiley act as Shane just glared. "Fine. I know you're bullshitting about the Otis thing—don't know what part—But i'd like to know. So?"

Shane's glare turned into a smirk as well as he crossed his arms. "What makes you think i'm lying?"

"Cut the bullshit. I was a psychology major. Not a fucking idiot." Aiden said, standing up before continuing. "Either you tell, or I tell Rick that his dearest friend slept with his wife."

Shane's eyes widened for a split second, making Aiden smile. Watching intently as the man across from him then clenched his jaw. Obviously pissed. "You don't know shit. You're not even a part of the group—and blackmail don't make you many friends."

Aiden simply shrugged at Shane's words, a smile still on his face with Shane reached over and harshly grabbed his arm. "Now, now. Hands off. I'm just not that into yo—"

Aiden was harshly cut off as Shane shoved him backwards, making the man stumble before regaining his balance. "Don't fucking touch me." Aiden spoke, instantly losing his calmness as he walked around the bench, getting in Shane's face.

This time it was Shane's turn to smile, giving the man a glance over before laughing. "I'm not telling you shit. My story is true. Go on, tell Rick about me and Lori. See how long you stay in the group."

Aiden didn't reply, instead he contemplated the man's words.

Before he could come up with a reply, Andrea walking over cut him off. Making his fake smile more genuine now. "Andrea." He dragged on, giving her a once over as she glared at him, blushing a tiny bit.

Aiden then raised his hands in surrender, glaring at Shane once more before saying bye to Andrea. Making his way towards his sister who was currently talking to Carol.

-