52. discarded flowers.

ACT TWO
(discarded flowers)

   RORY TIPTOED down the hall, Andre not bothering being as sneaky. Seeing as the duo was also speaking to one another. "Do you think she'll like 'em?"

Andre nodded, smiling at his friend's words. "She'd be crazy not to. Especially when she sees mine." The boy then held his handful of freshly picked flowers, taking a whiff of them as he smiled. "Think we'll get caught?"

"Us? Hell no we won't. We'll be in and out." Rory replied, giggling as he cussed.

Andre giggled as well, turning the hallway, now even closer to his friend's mom's cell.

While they both could've sworn they heard fast paced footsteps echo somewhere in the halls, they brushed it off. Assuming it was one of the council members before turning a hall once more.

It was then that they smelt it, the burning. It didn't smell like normal, it smelt much more coppery.

"Smell that?" Rory asked, nearing his mom's cell.

"Yep. Maybe Daryl brought back another deer." Andre then excitedly stimmed, waving his hand which held the flowers. The duo reaching Veroníca's cell as soon as he did so.

The first thing they noticed was the blood.

The blood that had currently covered half of Veroníca's throat, while the woman remained completely still.

Rory dropped his own bouquet of flowers at the sight, rushing over to his mother as he placed a hand onto her shoulder. Shaking her arm as he did so. "Mama?"

He then knelt beside the bed, his eyes watering. Andre seemed to be in a temporary frozen state of fear, making Rory yell at his friend. "Go get Dr. S!"

Andre immediately complied, wanting to get away from the sight of the bloody woman that he had looked up to.

As his fast paced footsteps echoed through the halls, he hadn't noticed the long blood trails that filled the hall, leading to a closed off section outside.

"Mama, you're gonna be okay." Rory mumbled, his tears running down his cheeks as he placed a kiss onto her forehead.

As he waited for the doctor to arrive, he couldn't help but sing a comforting song to his mother. The same song she had sang to him every night before bed. "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy, when skies are grey.. You never know dear, how much I love you—So—please don't take my sunshine away."

His singing was broken up due to the sobs in-between the words, his eyes still overflowing with tears as he placed his forehead onto her stomach.

He mumbled words into her, none of which were coherent due to his heavy breathing and uncontrollable crying.

-

Rory tightened his arms around Aiden, his tío had been told of his sister's harm and immediately stopped the task at hand.

Leaving all grave digging to temporarily pause seeing as Daryl, Glenn and Aiden had immediately rushed to the cell the woman was in.