69. false hope.

ACT TWO
(false hope)

THE FIRETRUCK DIDN'T LAST LONG. Though the group made it a few miles out, eventually it stalled again. Leaving the group parked in the middle of the road, Abraham desperately working on attempting to fix it while the others kept themselves preoccupied.

Currently, Veroníca sat beside Rory and Eugene. While the man had been reading a book, Rory prevented him from reading any further. Seeing as he was talking to him about Samson.

Rory wasn't a believer, but he did find the bible interesting. The stories it held peaked his interest seeing as how insane some of them were. So Veroníca wasn't shocked when Rory rambled about the man from the bible.

"Samson actually wasn't the smartest—he—he could've kept his strength but he fell in love.. he told her all his deep secret, obviously his hair, and she—she cut it all off.. If you think about it she was kinda an asshole—"

"Rory, language." Vee cut him off, earning an embarrassed look from the boy.

"Sorry, mama.. I meant to say jerk."

"Mhm.." Veroníca hummed, a small smile gracing her lips, one that didn't last long. Seeing as her hand darted to cover her nose and mouth. A stench suddenly filling the air.

The smell was that of rotting corpses, one that Glenn also noticed from his spot near Tara. Seeing as the man suddenly yelled out in disgust. "What the hell is that?"

As if on cue, Rory covered his nose as well. Eugene not quite smelling it just yet. "What?" The genius asked.

"Wind's picking up, you're about to smell it." Glenn replied, Rosita groaning as the smell hit her nose as well.

"What is that?" Tara questioned, her voice coming out a bit strange seeing as she was pinching her nose.

"Whatever's making that stench, it ain't nothin' nice. We're not stopping." Abraham finally spoke, getting out of the vehicle as he did so. Not worried about fixing it anymore, knowing deep down it wasn't much use.

"Uh—we're stopped." Tara noted, removing her hand from her nose. Her eyebrows furrowed.

Her words went unnoticed as the group watched Abraham begin walking. At first, they hadn't wanted to follow but eventually they began reluctantly trudging behind the man. All a bit annoyed that they lost their vehicle. Again.

"Mama, this smell is awful." Rory mumbled, walking beside his mom. One of his hands currently covered his nose, while the other lied in its sling.

The rest of the group had not bothered trying to stop from smelling it anymore. Knowing it was no use

"I know.. Try to breathe through your mouth."

"Then i'll be eating it." The boy replied, shaking his head as the group continued walking.

It wasn't long til they stopped in their tracks. Their eyes focused on the huge herd of walkers that had stood about two football fields away from them.

Veroníca had never seen this many walkers in her life, they looked like little ants from this far away. She knew if they got close up, all of them would be devoured immediately. There was no use in walking any further.