67. bittersweet endings.

ACT TWO
(bittersweet endings)

    VERONÍCA WATCHED WITH A FROWN as Rory hugged Carl and Andre. A pang of guilt hitting her as she did so. She felt awful, making Rory leave behind his friends. She knew the group would be right behind them but it didn't make her feel any better.

Her eyes were drawn away from the goodbye as Abraham spoke to Rick, handing him a paper as he did.

"This is our route to DC. We'll stick to it as long as we're able.. If not, well, you got our destination. Once Eugene gets to the big brains left up there, things are gonna bounce back. This group should be here for it. You should be there for it."

"We will be." Maggie spoke when Rick was rendered silent, Michonne repeating her words moments after.

Rick turned around to look at the two who spoke, nodding his head as he did so. "We will." He reiterated, looking back to Abraham who slightly smiled as he nodded.

"Good. Let's go." The redhead said, turning to walk away from Rick. Heading towards the bus.

At his command, Glenn and Veroníca shared a glance. Veroníca looking back at the bus before heading to Rick.

Once she reached him, she pulled the man into a hug. One that he hesitantly reciprocated.

"Thank you. For everything." Veroníca spoke as she pulled away, a sad smile on her face. "For letting my family join yours, for keeping us safe. You're a good man, Rick."

Rick nodded at her words. "You are family, Veroníca. All three of you."

"I know—still.." Veroníca paused, a bittersweet feeling in her chest as she changed topics. Not wanting to get too sappy. "We'll see you soon?"

Rick nodded again, reiterating her words as he did so. "Soon."

Veroníca waved the man a little goodbye before walking over to Rory, Andre and Carl. Forcing on a smile as she did so.

The woman tilted Carl's hat as she received a big hug from Andre, one which she gladly accepted.

"I'll miss you, Ms. Veroníca."

"I'll miss you both too.. And Carl—you keep an eye on your dad, okay?"

Carl nodded, fixing his hat as he did so. "Always will." He stated, holding Judith a little tighter.

Veroníca smiled at the baby, softly placing a kiss on top of her head before turning to her own son. "Rory, you ready?"

"Uh—yeah—one second." Rory mumbled, before looking around a smile setting on his lips as he made his way towards Tyreese.

Once he reached the man, he was immediately pulled into a tight hug. Rory mumbled something in his ears, Tyreese smiling sadly as his words as he let go off the hug. Ruffling Rory's hair as the duo bid each-other a goodbye.

Veroníca wasn't sure when the two had gotten close but nonetheless she smiled as the sight, her smile faltering as a hand was placed on her shoulder. "Ready, Ronnie?"

Veroníca nodded at Glenn's question, following her boyfriend into the bus as Rory ran to follow them as well. Sadness evident in their hearts.