60. arriving at terminus.

ACT TWO
(arriving at terminus)

VERONÍCA SAT BESIDE RICK. The man reeked of a copper-like scent, his beard covered in the crimson substance as he stared blankly into the distance.

The woman currently resembled him in many ways, her blank stare paired along with her bloody hands made the duo look as if they had just committed a crime together. Which they technically did.

Carl, Andre, Michonne were sat in the car. While Michonne sat with the kids to comfort them, only Carl really needed it. After all, he was assaulted as well.

The night had passed since the entire ordeal, despite the bright sunlight that casted over the group. They were feeling anything but bright.

None of the group had said anything, seeing as nothing could've made them feel any better.

Veroníca felt terrible. She didn't regret killing the man, but she hated the realization that came along with it.

This was the third man in her lifetime that had attempted to use her for her body. While the first was before the apocalypse; with each passing man who did her wrong, they seemed to hit harder.

Veroníca had come to the realization that no matter how few people walk the earth, there's still bad ones. Ones worse than the monsters that live for flesh.

Quite honestly, Veroníca wasn't sure if she could handle living with the realization. Not anymore at least, not now that everyone she loved most was gone.

Her thoughts came to an abrupt pause as Daryl sat down beside Rick, making both her and her leader turn towards the man.

He handed Rick a red rag, one of which he had previously poured some of his water bottle onto. "You can't see yourself, he can." Daryl explained as Rick examined the rag.

Their leader then began reluctantly cleaning his beard, wiping the dried blood onto the rag in his hand.

"I didn't know what they were.."

"How'd you two wind up with them?" Rick questioned, turning most of his attention towards his brother.

"I was with Beth.. We got out together. I was with her for a while..." Daryl trailed off, not sure how to word his thoughts.

"Is she dead?"

"She's just gone... After that—that's when they found me. I mean, I knew they were bad, but they had a code. It was simple. Stupid, but it was something. It was enough—It's why they didn't hurt Ron."

Daryl paused, remembering the past few days. The man decided against telling Rick how he found Veroníca. Seeing as he was sure that telling Rick that the woman was yelling at thin air wasn't a good idea.

"They said they were looking for this guy.." Daryl briefly paused again. "Last night they said they spotted him.. We wanted to leave—but we stayed. That's how we saw it was you four.. I didn't know what they could do."

Daryl held a remorseful tone in his voice, it was clear that he felt guilty for what happened to his friends. Despite the fact that it wasn't his fault.