47. the road to remission.

ACT TWO
(the road to remission)

     AIDEN RETURNING safely yesterday didn't change Veroníca's rage for Rick. Instead, seeing her brother alive just further reminded her that Rick had wanted to kill a human. That human being her brother.

Currently the Hayes siblings stood in Rory's cell. Though the boy shared it with Carl, the Grimes boy happened to be angry at the moment. So the sight of the Hayes siblings had been enough to make him leave the cell.

Normally Rory would've cared but he was too occupied watching his family pack his bag, listening intently to their conversation.

Aiden had been trying to convince Veroníca that the entire ordeal wasn't Rick's fault, it was Merle's.

The woman obviously wasn't accepting that, her anger for their leader never faltering. "I'm just saying.. It probably made sense, for the sake of the group."

"No." Veroníca paused her packing, looking over to her brother with a stern look. "No, it doesn't. What Rick did was messed up, Merle just went along with it... Rick's lucky you are safe—I'd do much more than just leave peacefully if you weren't."

At her subtle threat, Aiden widened his eyes. He then walked to the cell door, peeking around the corner to make sure no one had heard his sister's threat.

After he was sure they were in the clear, he retook his spot. "Veroníca, you can't say stuff like that. He's still in charge."

Veroníca glared at the man for just a moment before scoffing. She didn't bother arguing, instead, she took a seat next to Rory. Who currently sat on the bottom bunk. "Excited?"

"I guess? I like the woods..."

"Maybe you'll see some animals?"

"Maybe.. Carl's mad, he said he wants to stay here with you guys." Rory mentioned, seeming torn by his friend's unnecessary anger.

"Well, Carl will get over it when he gets to spend time with you." Veroníca reassured, a smile on her face as she kissed her son's cheek.

The duo then looked back up, watching as Aiden packed the last shirt. They weren't sure why Rick had Rory pack up his clothes, but no one felt like arguing.

So when Aiden zipped the bag up, he picked it up. Gesturing for the other two to follow him.

-

    The Hayes trio made their way into the courtyard. While Aiden and Rory went to talk to Beth, Veroníca opted to stand by the wall. Leaning her back against it as she nervously watched her son.

She wasn't nervous by his current action, she was nervous due to the fact that he was going to be practically alone in the woods.

Beth, Hershel, and Carl were also going, but Veroníca knew if it came down to it; none of them would kill someone for Rory.

Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but seeing as their enemies were currently heading over here. It wasn't a shock that she was a little nervous.

She had asked Rick if she could go with them, which he immediately denied. He claimed it was because they needed help shooting, but Veroníca wondered if it was because he was upset with her.