28. bunk buddies.

-

ACT TWO
(bunk buddies)

VERONÍCA RUFFLED her son's hair as the boy ran ahead of her. She could hear his and Carl's giggles as they explored the new cellblock.

As soon as she entered the cellblock, the smell of the corpses filled her nose. While she hated the smell, she couldn't help but smile at the newly secure space.

"What'd you think?" Rick asked as the kids ran passed him.

"Home sweet home." Glenn mumbled. Making Rick speak again just as he reached the main floor. "For the time being."

"It's secure?" Lori asked.

"This cellblock is."

"In the morning, we'll find the cafeteria and infirmary."

After Rick's explanation, Veroníca spoke up. "Do we sleep in the cells?"

"I found keys on some guards. Daryl has a set, too."

"I ain't sleepin' in no cage." Daryl butted in, throwing his backpack onto the ground of the second story. "I'll take the perch."

As soon as Daryl plopped onto the ground of the perch, the ground began separating. While mostly everyone went to look for rooms, Veroníca went to look for her son.

She followed the sound of quiet whispers and Rory's laughter to a cell at the back of the cellblock.

When she walked in, she smiled at the sight of Rory and Carl looking over a comic on the bottom bunk. "Rory."

When Rory looked up at his mother, she took that as a signal to continue. "You wanna go find our room?"

"Uh—Actually... Can I share a room with Carl?"

Veroníca thought it over for a moment before nodding. "As long as it's okay with Lori—and as long as you two get sleep."

The woman then stepped forward playfully pushing off Carl's hat while she ruffled Rory's hair. "We will, Ms. Hayes."

Veroníca nodded with a smile before kissing her son's forehead. "I'll leave you to it." She then exited the cell, now looking for her other friend.

While she peeked in each cell, she smiled as she caught sight of T-dog putting his pack onto a top bunk. "Hey, T. Wanna be my bunk buddy?"

"I would.. I kind of already promised Carol." Veroníca dramatically rolled her eyes at this, laughing when T-dog pushed her head away from him. "No time for all that sassy shit. I think Glenn needs a roommate."

Veroníca pointed a finger-gun at her friend, clicking her tongue as she nodded. "Perfect, see you later, T-dog."

"See ya, Ron."

Veroníca then exited the cell, now headed for Glenn with a smile on her face.

When she found Glenn, the man was sitting on the bottom bunk while he spoke to Maggie who was standing at the open door.