32. death follows us.

-

ACT TWO
(death follows us)

    VERONÍCA PANTED as the trio ran. They had been running through twists and turns for the last five minutes, so it wasn't a shock that each of them were breathing heavily. "There's a set of double doors that will lead to the corridor, that'll get ud back to our cell."

"We should stop. Stay put, they'll come for us."

"We need to get there." T-dog replied, shutting down Carol's idea as he panted. "Sooner we get there, sooner we save them."

"He's right, if we sit here and we die. No way they'll find us through these hallways." Veroníca said, pausing for a moment as she placed her hands on her knees. "Can we have a quick break though? I'm not good at running."

T-dog glanced at his friend for a moment, pausing for a few split seconds before shaking his head. "No time, hear those alarms?"

Veroníca temporarily silenced her breathing, finally hearing the alarms which blared through the halls. "I thought that was my head ringing from all the running." She joked.

T-dog cracked a smile at this, his smile dropping as he remembered the seriousness at hand. "We gotta go, now."

"He's right. The sound must be drawing walkers in from miles.. It'll only get worse." Carol muttered, rubbing Veroníca's back as the woman stood up fully.

"Let's go."

Rick, Daryl, Glenn and the prisoners entered the familiar cellblock. While Rick was screaming his wife's name, Daryl spoke up. "We just took down five of 'em in there."

"There were four in here, but no sign of Lori or Carl."

"Veroníca?" Glenn asked making Rick immediately shake his head. "None of 'em."

"They must've been pushed back into the prison.." Glenn attempted to brush off his nervousness.

"Somebody is playing games! We'll split up and look for the others. Whoever getd to the generators first, shut 'em down!"

"Let's go."

T-dog huffed as he glanced at the women beside him. "We're almost there."

Unfortunately his hopeful tone immediately left the air, now being replaced with a loud snarling from the hall ahead of them.

"We can take 'em."

Carol nodded, pulling out her gun. The dread in the air only grew when the gun clicked, completely out of bullets. "Shit, go back!"

"I got it." Veroníca said, slightly waving her knife as she took a step closer. Her steps turned more reluctant as two more walkers turned the corner, she could tell her friends were nervous making her force on a smile. "I got it." She repeated.

Just as she stabbed one of the walkers through the head, she was yanked back.

She turned to the person, confused on why they had pulled her away. "T. We don't have time for this, we're almost there."