73. rain and rambling.

ACT THREE
                            (rain and rambling)

     THE GROUP WAS EXHAUSTED, both mentally and physically. They had been on the road for three weeks since everything happened; and they could all agree that their luck had always seemed to run short.

After all, they never could find much food or water, no matter how many stores they had checked out.

Coming up empty handed each time only caused them to feel more and more hopeless.

It also didn't help that they no longer had any vehicles, while they had found a few along the way. None lasted very long.

Maggie, Sasha Daryl and Abraham seemed to be feeling the worst out of the group. They had all lost someone close to them, it was evident in their actions. They were standoffish, easily bothered. Understandably so.

Currently, the group sat on the side of the road. Vee sat with her chin on her knees, her eyes staring at the ground. Her throat dry and her head pounding.

Rory laid his head on Glenn's lap, his eyes fluttering closed. Glenn used this opportunity to pat the boy's back, hoping it'd help him possibly get a nap. Not that he could sleep in this scorching heat.

Aiden had just gotten back from a perimeter search that he and Daryl had went on. The duo had hoped to find something, but weren't surprised when nothing had come up.

Veroníca's gaze turned to Abraham when he began to drink from a bottle, squinting as she watched.

The group had just searched a few broken down cars, only finding a few full bottles of alcohol. Abraham being the only one who wanted to keep one. The one he was currently downing.

"So, all we found is booze?" Tara asked quietly, her gaze turning from Abe to Rosita. The Espinoza woman nodded, not wanting to reply seeing as her throat felt dry. "It's not gonna help."

"He knows that."

"It's gonna make it worse." Tara warned, her attention half focused on pulling on a strand of grass.

"He's a grown man.. I truly do not know if things could get worse." Eugene spoke up, his arms crossed over his knees.

Aiden stared at the genius for a minute before turning to Abraham, his arm now extended. "Can I have some?"

"Aiden." Veroníca mumbled, annoyed with his choice to drink.

Once Abraham handed the bottle over, Aiden took a long swig before replying to his sister. "What? He's right. We're fucked."

"We're not fucked." Veroníca replied, her throat scratchy as she sent a glare at her brother.

She didn't necessarily believe her words, but she hoped that Rory did. She didn't want the boy knowing how bad things were, even if he was experiencing it first hand.

Her tactic was proved unsuccessful when Rory spoke up, his voice a bit harsh.

"We're fucked."

"Rory." Glenn softly scolded as the boy sat up, removing his head from his father-figure's lap.

All Glenn received in response was a shrug, but his eyes remained trained on the Hayes kid as he walked to sit beside Andre.